Competition number: 039-2021-EXT-UTL
Closing date: 23/02/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Pay range: $81.54 to $101.92 per hour ($148,403 to 185,494 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Our Utility Services Moto: Building a foundation for our community to thrive and prosper! Do you drive operational excellence through personal leadership? Do you have a strong Utility Services and Infrastructure background?
As the Director, Utilities, you will lead, manage and direct the Utilities department in managing and operating municipal utility infrastructure to provide reliable services and to promote and support a sustainable environment and healthy community. You will be responsible for providing leadership to branches that provide Water and Wastewater Services and Engineering, Waste Collection and Recycling, Utilities Customer Billing and Community Energy Services and programs to support Strathcona County’s Strategic Plan. You will also provide advice to the Executive Team and Council on issues associated with the delivery of utility services in the County.
- Provide expertise, guidance and recommendations in all aspects of utility services and utility infrastructure
- Lead the development and implementation of the Department’s business plan, annual budget and human resources planning
- Strategize, create, implement and exemplify the utility components of the Strathcona County’s Strategic Plan
- Ensure the department delivers effective and efficient customer service within its mandate for program delivery
- Establish mechanisms to measure, monitor and report performance outcomes in service delivery
- Ensure effective and efficient approaches to resource management throughout the department to provide cost-effective service delivery, customer satisfaction and risk management
- Participate in necessary strategic utility infrastructure planning and maintain key internal and external relationships
- Establish, model, support and encourage a healthy work environment including a unified culture of personal accountability, recognition and continuous improvement
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to assess complex or sensitive situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make difficult decisions when required
- Possess strong strategic, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to positively influence others, and earn trust and cooperation
- Highly developed interpersonal and collaboration skills, strong personal integrity and ethical conduct
- Excellent leadership and management skills to develop and mentor towards team excellence
- Undergraduate degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Business or a related area
- Minimum 10 years of related experience including senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in Utility services and infrastructure
- P.Eng or CET certification will be considered an asset
- In-depth knowledge of planning and reporting processes, business planning and fiscal frameworks and best practices in the utility services and infrastructure environment within a municipal setting is highly desirable
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #039-2021-EXT-UTL closes February 23, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.