Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Office the Economic Development Officer is the key person for economic development activities for the Town of Slave Lake. The Town wishes to promote the concept that the Town of Slave Lake is open for business.
The Economic Development Officer will be responsible for developing and implementing the Town of Slave Lake Economic Development Plan, hiring and oversee consultants as required for various studies. This person will collaborate with First Nations, Municipal Districts, other economic development organizations, businesses, and educational institutions to achieve the economic development strategic goals, and meet with businesses within and outside the region in order to develop relationships and to ensure that the Town of Slave Lake is known as a place for business and industry to grow.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF THIS POSITION:
- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
- Develop and implement an Economic Development plan for the Town of Slave Lake.
- Meet with business and industry to ensure that they are aware that the Town of Slave Lake provides excellent opportunities for growth.
- Act as a representative of the region to the business community, investors, the public, and other stakeholders.
- Work with regional and community organizations on joint marketing initiatives.
- Continually update the regional inventory of assets.
- Update the Slave Lake Region marketing materials, such as the community profile, economic profile, resident welcome package, business welcome package and family life in the region, as needed online and in print.
- Develop new initiatives and projects to further economic, tourism and community development goals.
- Conduct familiarization tours with investors and business leaders to showcase the region’s competitive advantage.
- Update regional land-use maps of available parcels for development and keep abreast with new buildings and developments in commercial, industrial and medium-high residential zonings.
- Ensure up-to-date and accurate data on housing trends and costs and rental vacancy rates.
- Continually update the Town Slave Lake website and social media with news articles, community and economic events and new initiatives and projects relevant to development in the region.
- JOINT PARTNERSHIPS
- Develop relationships and partnerships with the business community, federal and provincial governments, first nations, municipalities, associations, organizations and educational institutions in achieving the established goals and objectives of the Town.
- Attend meetings relevant to the region on economic development, business development and investment, tourism and community issues.
- Create and implement strategic plans with community partners including a tourism strategic plan and the economic growth plan.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Create and evaluate Requests for Proposals for various economic development projects.
- Manage Projects relating to Economic Development.
- Benchmark and monitoring all incoming inquiries and consultations for evaluation purposes.
- Compiling information and statistics for use in business consultation.
- Preparation of Department budget and monitor expenses.
- Prepare and present reports to Town Council.
- Monitor grant opportunities and apply any that are suitable.
- 5. HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, Town Policies and Procedures and WHMIS Guidelines. For specific responsibilities of this position, refer to the Town’s Health and Safety Policy, Section 2 – Responsibilities for CAO, Directors, Supervisors and Workers
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Ability to collaborate with diverse groups with excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write detailed reports.
- Knowledge of formal and informal political processes and of government sponsored economic development initiatives and programs.
- Ability to keep track of information relevant to economic development and knowledge of finance, project evaluation, and marketing processes.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and retain confidential information.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- A degree or certification in Economic Development, Commerce, or Marketing.
- Ten years of experience in economic development.
- Experience with municipal government.
- Budgetary, Project Management and stakeholder relations and engagement skills.
- Up-to-date computer skills.
- Excellent written/verbal communications and public relations skills.
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
Please submit your résumé, and cover letter to:
Town of Slave Lake
Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A0
Or email email@example.com