The Town of Taber is currently a seeking a customer focused team player to join our Planning and Economic Development team. The Economic Development Officer will be responsible for promoting economic development within the Town. These operations may include managing advertising campaigns, coordinating land sales, building relationships with partnering agencies and other levels of government, and implementing Council policy directions related to economic development. This position falls within CUPE Local 2038.
- Be responsible for providing accurate development and economic development related information to the general public, developers, and potential land purchasers.
- Take ownership of managing economic development initiatives, land sales and community promotion campaigns.
- Take responsibility for the preparation of materials for presentation to Town Council.
- Prepare agendas and presentation materials for the Joint Economic Development Committee and attend meetings as the Town Representative, take minutes as and when required.
- Review and issue business licenses. Keep track of new, cancelled and renewed licenses and payments. Coordinate payment and follow-up with those unpaid accounts to ensure active license spreadsheet is accurate and up-to-date.
- Develop advertising campaigns based on best management practices and Council policy direction.
- Create multi-media products and content (posters, maps, booklets, images, videos) to support and enhance Town of Taber projects, advertising and website.
- Take responsibility to coordinate tradeshow attendance, including travel and logistics to get material to tradeshows and staff Tradeshow booths.
- Work with patterning agencies to facilitate economic development initiatives in the region.
- Lead the design of the Town of Taber Economic Development website and update content.
- Seek grant opportunities for local initiatives related to economic development working in conjunction with other departments and local businesses to research and apply for grants.
- Monitor and improve economic development procedures on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain knowledge of land use planning, economic development and building legislation, policies and regulations.
- Work closely with planning team members to provide excellent customer service in all planning and economic development matters as needed, and to provide redundancy when other team members are unavailable.
- Participate in the workplace health and safety program, including monthly worksite and hazard inspections, when required.
- Perform other related duties as directed by the Director of Planning and Economic Development.
- Preference may be given to candidates with a post secondary education in urban planning, business, marketing or economic development disciplines.
- To be successful in this role, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and accuracy.
- Knowledge of economic development methodologies and theory, land use concepts/principles, provincial statues and relevant development control legislation.
- A basic understanding of public works and engineering aspects of municipal development control is beneficial to this role.
- The ability to influence outcomes through excellent public relations, communications, interpersonal, facilitation and mediation.
- Organized and motivated, with the ability to effectively communicate both in oral and written form.
- Required to engage with the public on a daily basis, including occasional evening meetings and attendance at trade fairs to represent the Town of Taber in a professional manner.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Ability to provide a clean Police Information Check.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent Full Time
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5hrs/week, 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
HOURLY WAGE: $31.82 per hour with full benefits and pension
START DATE: Immediately
COMPETITION CLOSE DATE: July 15th, 2021 @ 4:30pm
Please refer to the competition number when submitting your resume and cover letter, in confidence to:
Town of Taber
A-4900 50 St.
Taber, AB T1G 1T1
We wish to thank all applicants for applying however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.