The Town of Didsbury (pop 5,268) has an exciting new opportunity for an innovative individual who is interested in joining a dynamic team of professionals. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the coordinator will administer a vibrant economic development operation and assist with implementing Council’s strategic priorities. Working closely with the leadership team and across departments, the coordinator will help ensure operational consistency to advance our municipal priorities and economic interests in the region.
Didsbury is located 80 kilometres north of Calgary, approximately half-way between Calgary and Red Deer and an hour’s drive to the Rockies. Didsbury offers small community living with big city amenities just a short drive away. Didsbury is a family-focused community with four schools, a hospital, public library, and robust recreational facilities, including a newly-renovated 2-surface arena, 5-lane swimming pool, 4-sheet curling rink, ball diamonds, and numerous playgrounds and pathways. The top industries in the community include Agriculture, Construction, Real Estate, Professional Services and Transportation.
- Administer a professional economic development operation, including working with and guiding the economic development committee.
- Research, design, implementation and monitoring of programs encouraging economic development
- Execute a variety of economic and community development activities relating to business attraction, expansion, retention, licensing and development
- Develop and foster professional and effective relationships with key elected and administrative officials from the Town as well as various levels of government and organizations; represent the Town at relevant meetings and events.
- Coordinate research and reporting of external initiatives, developing strategies to accomplish Council’s priorities, and provide briefings as required.
WHAT THE TOWN OF DIDSBURY IS LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE: KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Understanding of the principles of good economic development and the factors that impact businesses and the local economy
- Strong working knowledge of the Municipal of Government Act (MGA) and of the principles of effective municipal administration.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills and the ability to deal effectively with high pressure and challenging situations.
- Ability to provide strong leadership and direction, while effectively working with Boards, Committees, elected officials, personnel, and the general public.
- Ability to identify and promote community economic development projects and initiatives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- College or University degree in commerce, economics, planning, political science, business management or related field
- Experience in economic development, marketing, policy-development, or relevant municipal administration
- Experience working with elected officials and/or committees.
If you are looking for a fun and challenging opportunity, you are invited to submit a cover letter and resume quoting Competition 21-003 to:
Town of Didsbury,
Didsbury, AB T0M 0W0
For information about the Town of Didsbury, please visit us at www.didsbury.ca
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.