The Economic Diversification Strategist reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and the senior leadership team and is responsible for providing focused strategic leadership regarding community and economic development planning and initiatives; and promoting the community to expand economic development opportunities.
The Economic Diversification Strategist requires considerable judgement and initiative in combining a broad scope of professional planning and economic development knowledge, and sophisticated analytical judgement to solve a variety of complex technical problems. This position is responsible for overall management, execution, planning and development of economic development projects and activities.
1. Facilitate current and future community and economic development planning to identify and establish economic development opportunities.
- Facilitate a planning process and lead in the development of an Economic Development Strategic Business Plan including, vision, goals and objectives through discussions with Town Council and senior management.
- Facilitate and promote working relationships by acting as the Town’s liaison between local organizations, individuals and representatives of government, business and industry concerning strategic economic development, retention of businesses, growth initiatives and succession planning by attending and facilitating meetings of various business, subject matter experts, community, and government groups.
- Consult with developers from outside the community for site visits and community profile.
- Develop reports, make presentations and provide professional advice to Council and senior leadership, business owners, developers and government agencies and the public as required.
- Effectively work with all Town departments to facilitate the coordination of municipal services and/or approval processes to assist business development in accordance with municipal economic development strategies, goals, objectives and policies.
- Review, update and recommend changes to existing policies and guidelines where appropriate.
2. Research, identify and develop opportunities for Community Economic Development to develop sectors, projects and initiatives.
- Research and provide recommendations on Community Economic Development opportunities.
- Prepare reports and provide analysis that identify sectoral opportunities for Economic Development in alignment with Town Council’s priorities. (ie. education and training, agriculture, bio-energy, tourism, forestry, manufacturing, etc.).
- Develop management plans including current and critical path schedules for public improvement and private revitalization projects; meeting and working with public committees, special interest groups, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood groups concerning economic development issues and problems; and developing business assistance, business retention and financial plans.
- Identify and monitor regional economic trends to assist with the development of job creation projects. and capital development program opportunities.
- Identify and facilitate community training to take advantage of economic development opportunities.
3. Secure funding for economic development activities and programs.
- Research private and public sector economic development funding opportunities.
- Consult with industry and government representatives concerning eligibility requirements for funding.
- Prepare proposals for funding to support community economic development.
- Prepares budget for presentation and administration
4. Promote the community to expand economic development opportunities.
- Develop strategies to promote various opportunities.
- Maintain the Town’s Economic and Community Profiles and prepare profiles in various forms for use and distribution.
- Coordinating and facilitating tours for internal and external trade delegations and public engagement sessions.
- Coordinate investment promotion efforts for working with existing and new business to promote Drayton Valley as a place to invest and do business.
Decision Making Role
The position is responsible for making day-to-day decisions on what activities to focus time and attention. This is a decision support position and is responsible for making recommendations to others who will make decisions affecting the Town.
Overall success of the current and future economic development for the Town of Drayton Valley is a fundamental responsibility of this position. This role is responsible for identifying initiatives that diversify the local economy and is accountable for researching and identifying potential grant monies associated with economic development.
Major Inter-Personal Contacts
The position is a Town representative with various external agencies, associations and committees
The position supervises support staff.
Related university undergraduate degree/diploma in Economics, Business Administration, or Engineering Technology equivalencies considered.
Eligibility for membership in the Economic Developers Association of Canada.
Experience at a management level in a municipal setting, economic and business development, business networking and building business cases an asset.
Experience in senior management in municipal government environment would be an asset.
Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning and resource allocation.
Experience liaising with post-secondary institutions or related experience with post-secondary education would be an asset.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to distribute information in various forms of media.
- Ability to effectively organize ideas for logical presentation and acceptance that have been well researched and are highly credible
- Ability to deal with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to motivate and mobilize resources within the Community.
- Knowledge of formal and informal political process,
- Ability to develop, maintain and utilize a network of contacts for the economic development of the Town.
- Ability to develop Economic Development strategies consistent with the policy goals of municipal, provincial and federal governments.
- Knowledge of existing government sponsored economic development initiatives and programs.
Research and Analytical Skills:
- Ability to conduct economic, demographic and market research.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of finance, accounting, project evaluation, marketing, and legal process.
- Ability to accurately define and effectively address problems as they arise.
- Ability to set realistic goals and develop plans to achieve them.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to access essential information in a timely manner.
- Operating knowledge of computers and the software
- Operating knowledge of office equipment (fax machines and photocopiers)
- Valid Driver’s license to operate in Alberta and access to a vehicle for business purposes.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above as well as your resume via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Town of Drayton Valley
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 6837
Drayton Valley, AB T7A 1A1
The Town of Drayton Valley thanks all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.