The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
Under the direction of the City Clerk, the Elections Advisor will coordinate the planning, organization, administration, delivery, reporting and evaluation of municipal elections. This will include report writing, the development of short-term plans, leading recruitment, development of training materials, training and oversight of election officials, working with vendors on election systems, preparation of voting locations, procurement of material and supplies, coordination and delivery of material and supplies to voting stations, and coordinating logistics on election day.
This is a full-time, temporary position until the end of 2021.
Financial, Human Resources and Materials Coordination
- Manages the available budget for election workers, essential services, supplies, materials and equipment.
- Develops a work plan for allocating resources.
- Leads recruitment and training of election workers for advance polls and Election Day.
- Ensures election workers are payroll-processed.
- Ensures election workers and City staff respect confidentiality guidelines as per the Local Authorities Election Act.
- Negotiates for and leases accommodation space and essential services.
- Manages the inventory, supply and distribution of materials.
- Provide recommendations for health and safety of City staff, election workers and voters.
- Coordinates the return of election documents, furniture, and equipment.
- Coordinates payment of election related invoices.
- Coordinates the destruction of election material as per the Local Authorities Election Act.
Planning and Organizing of Voting Protocols
- Liaises with the vendor for the provision of electronic voting tabulators.
- Finalizes and orders ballots, ensuring accuracy of content.
- Prepares statutory public notices.
- Implements security measures as required for the protection of information, assets, staff and the general public at the counting centre and at voting stations.
- Works with the returning officer to establish voting stations and distributes notices as required by the Local Authorities Election Act.
- Assigns election officers to voting stations and issues their supplies.
- Coordinates with other departments for voting station signage placement and removal.
- Coordinates and reports on the results of the vote.
- Ensures the adherence by City staff and election workers to all legal requirements of the Local Authorities Election Act.
- Ensures that the voting processes are compliant with the Local Authorities Election Act and Election Bylaw.
- Ensures adherence of candidates to the Use of Municipal Resources for Election Campaigns Policy.
- Ensures the maintenance of peace and good order throughout the electoral process.
- Facilitate activities for required bylaw and policy review by communicating with employees across the organization at various levels.
- Manage or assist with other legislative projects, as assigned.
Electoral Process Improvement and Stakeholder Relations
- Provides recommendations on improvements to the administration of the electoral process.
- Ensures that systems are in place within the returning office to respond to inquiries from the public accurately and efficiently.
- Ensures that candidates are provided with all documentation to which they are entitled.
- Responds to questions, requests and suggestions from candidates.
- Updates election website content, as required.
- Post-secondary Degree in Business Administration, Political Science or equivalent.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years related experience.
- Knowledge of Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Election Act, and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act required.
How to Apply: Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove