Reporting to the Director of Energy Programs, the Energy Data Specialist is responsible for delivering critical, timely analysis of information to the AMSC Energy Retail business and its client base of Alberta municipalities through effective energy analytics.
The Energy Data Specialist’s primary role on the Energy Retail Team is that of data expert, providing technical support in the areas of gathering, managing, analyzing, modelling, reporting, and commenting on a broad spectrum of energy-related information, leading to enhanced internal strategic making and increased customer service.
Key areas of energy information include:
- Alberta electricity and natural gas markets, including spot market and futures pricing;
- Regulations and regulated utility rates;
- Electricity and natural gas billing and financial settlement;
- Customer account and contract information;
- Key Performance Indicators;
- Energy management best practices and advice;
- Ad hoc requests for energy analytics and custom reports from clients.
Full Time, Permanent
Education and Skills
- University degree in Commerce, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Computer Science or a related field. An acceptable combination of work experience and a college diploma from a related field may be considered as equivalent.
- Certification from the Association of Energy Engineers (e.g. CEA, CEM, etc.) is considered an asset.
- 3 years of experience in a relevant analytical position working with large data sets;
- Strong experience working with data tools such as Excel VBA, Tableau and sources such as Microsoft SQL;
- Demonstrated knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R;
- Knowledge of Alberta’s electricity and natural gas industries including understanding of organizations such as the Alberta Utilities Commission, the Alberta Electric System Operator, the Market Surveillance Administrator, etc.
- An understanding of spot and futures markets including the AESO Pool Price, the Intercontinental Exchange and the Natural Gas Exchange;
- Knowledge of electricity and natural gas billing and settlement, and energy management within municipal facilities will be considered an asset;
- Experience with various environmental certification benchmarks (e.g. ENERGY STAR, BOMA BEST, LEED-EBOM, etc.) will be considered an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Skilled at data manipulation and pivot table analysis in Excel;
- Skilled at creating visually appealing PowerPoint presentations and slides from data tools;
- The ability to perform data analysis, create user-defined functions, and create sophisticated graphical reports (advanced skills);
- Demonstrated knowledge of database design and analysis, client-server architecture, and data modeling;
- Must be willing to learn additional analytic approaches;
- Skilled at condensing large and complex sources of information into succinct and easily understood documents, such as a one-page briefing note;
- Must be able to work effectively with others and have good interpersonal skills;
- Must be highly organized and work well under pressure;
- Effective time management skills and the ability to multitask, working in an environment with minimal supervision on day-to-day tasks;
- Must be able to work independently, as well as under supervision;
- Must be willing to accept responsibility and to show good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness;
- Must value working in a collaborative environment;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with both technical and non-technical areas of the organization;
- Demonstrated ability to grasp and translate technical concepts, think independently, and take the initiative required to resolve issues in a team structure.
- Disseminate reports and energy analysis to Energy Program clients using multiple approaches for displaying energy consumption and costs, such as weather-normalization, energy use indexes, comparison with prior years, industry benchmarks, etc.;
- Identify opportunities for clients to take advantage of efficiencies or cost savings.
- Assist with client budget preparation (i.e. utilities budgets) and cost forecasting;
- Provide the AMSC Energy Retail business with analytical information that assists in making key business decisions;
- Ensure data is presented to AMSC Energy leaders and/or clients in a clear, easily-understood, and actionable way. Expected communication forms include briefing notes, business cases (with financial models), PowerPoint presentations, ad-hoc energy analysis and client newsletters;
- Assist in the development and execution of an AMSC Energy Program performance dashboard using data from the various software systems;
- Within multiple systems and databases, manipulate energy data as needed for the purposes of data extraction, data transformation, data loading, and data migration;
- Ensure that the data within the energy data warehouse is accurately entered and stored in a manner that does not allow for data tampering and/or unauthorized access;
- Act as the primary contact regarding data support, data management issues, and reporting capabilities for the AMSC Energy Program’s business;
- Liaise with IT resources as required to achieve key business objectives;
- Stay up-to-date and report on relevant issues and trends within the Alberta energy sector, including the tracking of regulated (e.g. distribution rates) and de-regulated (i.e. market price) costs;
- Other work as assigned by the Director, Energy Programs.
- Some travel may be necessary.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter to Jeff Simpson, Senior Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.
Selection of people to perform this position is based on matching their knowledge, skills, competencies, and behaviours to the work to be performed so that the best qualified candidates are chosen. AUMA is committed to employment practices that are unbiased with regard to equal opportunity of employment. AUMA makes every effort to be in compliance with the Alberta Human Rights Legislation.