Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Manager, Construction & Engineering, the Engineering Design Technologist is responsible for road geomatics and pavement design, preparing and reviewing of tenders for road projects and the road and bridge construction projects and related activities in a typical rural setting within the Municipal District of Greenview.
- Plan, design, tendering and manage road projects.
- Assist in developing capital construction budgets and determine the status of the projects in terms of scheduling, scope, budget and quality.
- Provide necessary supervision, direction and technical expertise to complete various tasks associated with road/bridge construction and rehabilitation projects.
- Ensure construction occurs according to the schedule and meet the established budgetary guidelines.
- Ensure construction plans and projects meet and follow all policy, legislation, environmental, legal and safety requirements.
- Evaluate project feasibility through assessment of materials, costs and time requirements.
- Conduct Construction Completion and Final Acceptance inspections and provide recommendations.
- Conduct project meetings as required.
- Coordinate, manage and communicate with Contractors and Consultants to address issues concerning delivery, labour, land negotiations, utility approvals and payment disputes.
- Maintain effective communication with various stakeholders and public as required.
- Review scopes of work, tender documents and bids received from consultants and clients.
- Review engineering designs for accuracy and recommend changes as required.
- Maintain inventories of permits and approvals.
- Arrange for the provision of scheduled bridge inspections to determine the current condition ratings and maintain relevant BIM data
- Liaise with the Ministry of Transportation regarding the current bridge infrastructures assets, rehabilitation requirements and funding availability.
- Maintain accurate and timely records and reports.
- Provide regular updates to the Manager, Construction & Maintenance.
- Assist with land acquisitions when required.
- Review applications and recommend conditions for the undertakings involving utilities, pipelines, well sites and seismic activities.
- Review applications and recommend conditions for sub-division and oilfield road approaches.
- Carry out pre and post construction inspections of road crossings, approaches and other municipal undertakings to ensure compliance with permit conditions.
- Review road and miscellaneous requests to provide recommendations and ratings to Manager, Construction and Maintenance.
- Knowledge of wetland assessment, first nation consultation and permitting under Alberta water act process may be considered an asset.
- Recommend changes to policies as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of professionalism.
- Post-secondary education in Engineering or Civil Technology or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 year experience in municipal planning, design and construction supervision/management of road and bridge file (culverts) projects.
- Relevant inspection and supervisory training courses may be considered an asset.
- Previous construction experience related to Alberta Transportation or other rural municipal projects may be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of asset management related to municipal infrastructures may be considered an asset
- Class 5 driver’s license.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Proficiency with Civil 3D, ArcMap, drainage and AutoCAD Software.
- Ability to work with GIS and asset management systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels of employees, including Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership capability.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to understand survey information and to read engineering plans.
- Ability to carry out field inspections.
- Familiarity with applicable construction standards.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Substantial use of computer and telephone.
- May involve long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Subject to working in an outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dust and / or wet conditions as well as exposure to insects, bees and wildlife.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Adhere to construction safety procedures.
- Required to wear correct Personal Protective Equipment as per safe job procedures.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume in one of the following ways, position open until suitable candidate is found:
Mail or Drop Off:
Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0