For people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, Sparwood will exceed your expectations by offering you instant access to mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes filled with an array of fish and wildlife. Participate in fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, golf, numerous lake activities, hunting, cross country skiing and world class skiing and snowboarding to your heart’s content.
Sparwood is an East Kootenay community of about 4,000 people living in the beautiful Elk Valley, approximately 1.5 hours away from Cranbrook, BC and 2.5 hours away from Calgary, AB - offering easy access to big city amenities while enjoying all that rural living has to offer.
The District of Sparwood has an exciting leadership opportunity as the result of an upcoming retirement. Recognizing the unlimited potential of this vibrant community and the importance of hiring a leader to assist Council in achieving their strategic goals and objectives, as outlined in the 2019-2022 Strategic Priorities Report, we are looking to attract a collaborative, results-oriented leader as the Engineering Project Manager.
The core job duties include:
- Oversee the implementation and administration of internal and contracted capital and engineering programs and special projects by assisting with budgets, preparing, managing, overseeing projects, estimates and timelines
- Participate in short and long-range planning, assist in the preparation of the department budgets, monitor assigned budgets and control costs ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds
- Ensure compliance with legislation and the policies and procedures approved by Council, and efficiently manage engineering projects, maintain municipal engineering records and provide advice and technical guidance to the Director of Operations, CAO and Council
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of a Diploma from a Civil Engineering Technology Institution and post-secondary education in Project Management
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as an Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T.)
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a municipal environment or equivalent experience in the private sector
- Excellent knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal civil engineering, construction, and construction contracts and MMCD
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Outlook
- Strong working knowledge of GIS, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map3d, Civil3d and InfraWorks
- Proficient with the use of GPS and conventional survey equipment
- Strong oral, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Asset management experience would be considered an asset
The salary for this position is between $ 85,000 and $ 95,000 (dependent on education and experience), and includes a full range of employer paid benefits, an earned day off program, generous vacation time, up to 3-weeks of time off in lieu of overtime and an Active Living Pass for access to the Leisure Centre courts, fitness centre, climbing wall, pool, arena and many of the drop-in fitness classes. More information and a detailed job description can be found on the District of Sparwood website at https://sparwood.ca/job-opportunities.
Qualified applicants who are offered and accept the position may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment background check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian criminal record check, an employment verification and/or an education and accreditation verification and a clean drivers’ abstract.
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes, complete with cover letter, in confidence by March 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm Mountain Time to:
HR & Communications Coordinator
District of Sparwood