The primary responsibility of the Environmental Technician will be to inspect the sanitary and storm sewer systems with CCTV camera inspection equipment. In addition, they will perform duties that are necessary to maintain existing environmental operating approvals and ensure compliance with inspection programs for municipality's entire infrastructure, properties, and utilities, which will include:
- Air, soil, and groundwater sampling and reporting
- Noxious weed monitoring and eradication
- Maintenance of CCTV inspection and survey equipment
- Inspect and complete asset management reports for 25% of the sanitary and storm system annually
- Ensure GIS and Asset Management Systems are accurate and up to date
- Lead field investigations on the potable water lead management program, storm water management, erosion monitoring, environmental pollutants, and wildlife concerns
- Interpret regulations and policies for water, sanitary, storm and landfill environmental approvals
- Ensure compliance to applicable provincial and federal Acts relating to water and the environment
- Assist with sustainability programs and initiatives
- Other duties related to the operation of the department.
The Environmental Technician will work with all members of the Public Services Department to accomplish the goals and initiatives of the Town of Redcliff. They will be required to consult and cooperate with all other municipal employees, contractors, suppliers, government agencies, and the general public as required.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate CCTV inspection equipment on the sanitary and storm pipe networks in the Town
- To conduct detailed Asset Management analysis and reporting on the state of the underground infrastructure through direct inspection programs.
- To conduct sampling programs for Air, Soil, and Groundwater
- Monitor environmental operating approval regulation and compliance initiatives, sampling protocols, and reporting requirements
- Monitor and eradicate noxious weeds throughout the Town boundaries
- Monitor, sample, and implement the Town’s potable water Lead Management Plan
- Inspect storm water outfalls and erosion conditions
- Ensure accurate GIS and Asset Management programs are up to date with correct data
- Collect and prepare samples for laboratory analysis.
- Review and maintain standard operating procedures for all job tasks
- Assist with environmental educational initiatives relating to sustainability programs.
- Assist staff in conducting environmental site assessments and wetland monitoring programs.
- Assist staff in conducting wetland assessments
- Assist staff with the enforcement of bylaws. Legislation, and contaminant source investigations
- Ensures that a positive public image is portrayed to the public indicating the municipality's commitment to excellence in service for the residents of the Town of Redcliff.
- Will be responsible for ensuring adequate on -site safety procedures and regulations are practiced as they pertain to operations of the municipality.
- To perform other related duties as assigned by the Director.
- Must maintain a good physical condition to complete the required field work
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License.
- Environmental or Civil Engineering Technician Diploma. Advanced Post Secondary education with a degree in biology or Environmental Science is considered an asset.
- Must be able to demonstrate exemplary ability to operate advanced camera and electrical equipment.
- Significant GIS and/or Asset Management knowledge
- Knowledge of applicable acts including the Water Act, Wildlife Act, Weed Control Act, Standards for Landfills in Alberta, CCME guidelines, Remediation Regulation, Erosion and Sediment Control, and Wetland Policy
- Knowledge of and ability to conduct prohibited and noxious weed inspections and eradication programs
- Ability to conduct wetland assessments, wildlife identification, and assist with wildlife related concerns
- Ability to collect air, soil, and groundwater samples and complete the relevant reporting requirements
- Proven report writing experience and strong communication abilities
- Mechanical understanding of CCTV systems, process equipment, and sampling systems
- Proficiency in computer programs including Microsoft Office, GIS systems, and AutoCAD
- Significant experience working with the general public, environmental issues, riparian sensitivities, and enforcement programs
- Must be willing and able to upgrade skills as necessary to meet the changing needs of the position.
If you are interested in this challenging, rewarding position please mail an application in the form of a cover letter and resume, in confidence, marked “Environmental Technician” to:
Town of Redcliff
Attn: Human Resources
Redcliff, AB, T0J 2P0
Applications will also be accepted via email in pdf format to email@example.com
Applications can also be delivered in person to Town Hall located at #1 – 3rd Street NE, Redcliff, AB.
This posting, along with the complete job description, can be seen on our website at www.redcliff.ca under opportunities. Deadline for receiving applications is 4:30pm Dec 7, 2019. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.