Assists in ensuring fluid communications, coordination and continuity between Mayor, Council, CAO, and the Directors. The position provides confidential administrative support to the CAO, Town Council and senior administration and has the primary responsibility of the preparation of Council and meeting agenda packages and meeting minutes in addition to meeting decision follow up and associated processes.
Responsible to assist in providing legislative, governance and procedural support, including analysis, research and drafting of new policies and bylaws, and other related documents.
Assumes the role of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) Secretary, as well as the Returning Officer for Municipal Elections and Census Coordinator.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strongly devoted to public service; be team oriented, detail oriented, energetic, innovative and result driven.
- An excellent working knowledge of The Alberta Municipal Government Act as well as municipal government structure and functionality.
- Must possess excellent judgement, interpersonal and customer services skills.
- Ability to maintain and uphold a high level of confidentiality.
- Highly effective verbal and written communicator.
- Excellent interpersonal skills working with Council, Staff, Provincial and Federal government bodies and officials, and the general public in all types of circumstances.
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point, SharePoint and Outlook and demonstrate strong computer literacy with excellent typing/keyboarding skills.
- Ability to take a leadership role in projects ensuring positivity, creativity, and innovation on joint projects with other team members while ensuring the CAO is properly informed and involved where needed to make decisions as project sponsor.
- Ability to work effectively within stringent timelines and other pressure situations, with diplomacy and professionalism, without compromising quality of work.
- Ability to prioritize and utilize effective time management skills.
- Exceptional problem solving, research and writing skills.
Position Requirements – CAO
- Serve as office administrator for the CAO by providing a full range of confidential, complex administrative support which includes but is not limited to monitoring and managing the CAO’s calendar, scheduling administrative meetings, preparing meeting agendas, taking meeting notes, and making other necessary arrangements.
- Act as a first point of contact for people wishing to speak with the CAO; gather required background information on requests and respond to general inquiries on the CAO’s behalf.
- Manage event calendar for the CAO, respond to events, schedule appointments/conferences and provide the CAO with assistance in meeting appointments and deadlines.
- Prepare, proofread, and format various documents/letters as requested.
- Organize and maintain CAO’s office filing system.
- When required, receive public complaints, and concerns specific to functional areas, ensuring the proper routing to the appropriate departmental staff member.
- Coordinate registrations, accommodations, and travel arrangements for the CAO.
- Research and coordinate special projects, activities and events as requested by the CAO and attend special events and other functions as required.
- Coordinate Annual Organizational Meeting including agenda preparation and collaborate with Volunteer Program Coordinator in the recruitment and retention of Board and Committee Member at Large positions.
- Monitor and provide input regarding improvements to workflow process, policies, and procedures.
- Review assess/prioritize, route, answer and follow up action items on such items as correspondence, inquiries, and corporate tasks to ensure timelines and procedures are met.
- Administration and overall upkeep of Bylaws, Policies, Agreements and Council Reports ensuring indexes are maintained, and all relevant documentation is current, duly executed and accurately recorded in the information management system. All Bylaws require review minimum every three years.
- Assume the role of Census Coordinator overseeing all functions related to the annual census including hiring, training and supervision of contracted enumerators, working with key staff in required departments, advertising, maintenance, troubleshooting and internal reporting of online enumeration and development of the final report to Council and Municipal Affairs.
- Act as Secretary for the SDAB and perform all related duties, including training of board members, preparation of agenda packages, acting as liaison between appellant, the board and the Town, and communication of any decisions.
- Assume the role of Returning Officer during Municipal Elections and assist in all aspects of the election process.
- Conduct research and provide legislative, governance and procedural support, including analysis and research and drafting of new policies and bylaws and other related documents, such as handbooks, manuals or working papers.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by the CAO.
Position Requirements – Mayor and Council
- Serves as the main point of contact for all elected officials by providing a full range of confidential, complex administrative support, including managing Council and multiple individual calendars, scheduling meetings with internal/external stakeholders, proof reading and preparing correspondence for signature, composing letters and email on behalf of Mayor and Council, and all other related administrative needs.
- Provide exceptional customer service by demonstrating a high degree of professionalism, tact, and political acumen in prioritizing and responding to all inquiries, telephone calls, electronic correspondence, in-person visitors, and day-to-day interactions.
- Send out, maintain calendar invitations, and send reminders to Mayor and Council for all meetings and any other engagements.
- Liaise with Town Council, government officials, municipalities,representatives of business or community organizations, the public, and all levels of Town personnel to assist in the exchange of information and communicate tactfully with discretion.
- Assist in meeting coordination and in the planning and managing of events hosted by Mayor and Council, providing on-site support, preparation of materials, and any other requirements.
- Monitor and provide input regarding improvements to workflow process, policies and procedures, communication mechanisms, meeting mechanics, or any other function that would enhance the alignment between the function of Town Council and the CAO.Receive and distribute incoming mail and electronic correspondence following review and evaluation to identify those items requiring priority attention of the Mayor and Council.
- Register Mayor and Council Members for events, including Mayor and Council’s conference registrations and plan for accommodations and travel arrangements.
- Utilize the corporate records management system to ensure effective and accurate records are developed and maintained, including the ability to code, safeguard, and retrieve documents.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Post-secondary training in Office Administration combined with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience, preferably in a municipal or public sector environment, in a confidential capacity at senior or executive assistant level.
- Experienced in a municipal government environment and a working familiarity with the Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Election Act, and other Provincial Statutes relative to Legislation and Governance as well as outstanding knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order.
- Acute knowledge of office procedures and practices and attention to detail.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including biweekly evening meetings and weekend workshops.
- High degree of competency in using computers in the areas of word processing, financial accounting, software, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Above average verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to communicate firmly and diplomatically with the public and respond courteously to complaints and difficult customers.
- A professional and calm demeanor coupled with a strong intuition for dealing with people.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and excellent customer service.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR or willingness to obtain.
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Additional Requirements:
- Must be a minimum 18 years of age
- RCMP Criminal Record Check
- Valid Driver’s License with current Drivers Abstract
- Office duties, program planning and supplies, public engagement, event set up & take down, meetings with municipal partners.
- Lifting to 50lbs. on an occasional basis.
- Office equipment (computers, scanning, photocopy) stand up banners, cameras, utility knives, memory keys – USB, tables, chairs, decorations.
- Low level and waist level lifting to 20lbs. as well as overhead reaching and above shoulder lifting, could also include trunk rotation and side carrying with either dominant or non-dominant hands.
- Pushing and pulling of supplies.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Mainly office work, with possible external site visits as required.
- Due to the nature of this position, occasional periods of overtime and evening meetings is required. Internal – Daily contact with the CAO, Members of Council, Staff, and the public.
- External – contact and communication with government agencies and consultants/contractors.
- The noise level in the work environment is quiet to loud.
The Town of Blackfalds is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals interested in this position to submit a cover letter and resume to the address below. If applying by e-mail, please ensure your name and the job title is included in the subject line. Position will remain open until suitable candidate is identified.
Attention: Human Resources
Town of Blackfalds,
Box 220, 5018Waghorn St,
Blackfalds AB, T0M 0J0