Executive Assistant & Legislative Coordinator - Full-Time Position
The Administration Department is seeking a dynamic, energetic person with a great work attitude, for a full - time position (36.25 hours/week).
In addition to providing a high level of administrative support to the Chief Administrative Officer (booking meetings, arranging itineraries, preparing correspondence, taking minutes, facilitating events, directing public enquiries, etc.), this person is our resident expert in all legislative matters pertaining to County business.
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Executive Assistant & Legislative Coordinator is responsible to provide administrative support to the CAO, Reeve and Council and legislative services to the organization. Political sensitivity, conscientiousness and professionalism are fundamental in delivering exceptional service to both internal and external stakeholders.
Primary Responsibilities and Authority
- Provide administrative support to the CAO and Council including maintaining calendars and itineraries.
- Draft correspondence and documentation for signature by the CAO or Reeve.
- Act as recording secretary for Council and Organizational Meetings.
- Prepare and distribute Council and Organizational Agendas
- Act as recording secretary and prepare agenda packages; draft and distribute decisions.
- Respond to public inquiries relating to general executive and legislative assistance matters.
- Prepare executive and legislative correspondence, reports and other related material as required.
- Provide assistance in the development of bylaws and policies pertaining to the Executive Office.
- Maintain master registry of Bylaw Index and all Bylaw backup information.
- Make travel arrangements including reservations and scheduling of conferences, workshops, meetings and trips for the CAO and Council as required.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate events for Council or the CAO.
- Act as Returning Officer in connection with elections and plebiscites.
- Commissioner of Oaths for Municipal documentation as required.
- Act as Coordinator for municipal census.
- Oversee the County’s records management program.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the CAO.
Financial and Budgetary
- Assist with preparation of department annual operating budget that work towards the municipality’s strategic priorities.
- Assist with the Purchasing Policy, prepare Purchase Orders as required.
Health and Safety
- Comply with all County policies, work procedures, rules, safety instructions and relevant directives in the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code.
- Promote health and safety initiatives within the Department.
- Comply with roles and responsibilities as outlined in the AB Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Participate in workplace safety initiatives including conducting/participating in formal and informal worksite safety inspections and audits.
- Report all incidents, including near misses to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to interpret and utilize relevant Bylaws and the Province of Alberta Municipal Government Act.
- Demonstrates proficiency and reliability in planning, organizing and carrying out multi-task projects.
- Highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide technical and analytical reports appropriate for varied audiences.
- Strong working knowledge of the MS Office suite.
- Exhibit a high degree of personal initiative, integrity, professionalism and accuracy.
- Ability to deal with staff, governments and the public in a courteous, diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Knowledge of parliamentary procedures would be considered an asset.
Required Education and Experience
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary diploma or degree in office administration and/or public administration or related field.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum three to five years of related experience preferably in a municipal setting.
Salary: Birch Hills County provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
If you feel that you have the qualifications and desire to be a part of the Birch Hills County Team, please submit your resume to the following address (this competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found):
Birch Hills County
PO Box 157
Wanham AB T0H 3P0
Attention: Shelley Braun
Re: Job #21-03