The Association of Summer Villages of Alberta (ASVA), established in 1958, is one of three municipal associations in Alberta and plays a similar advocacy role for its members as does the Alberta Urban Municipal Association (AUMA) and Rural Municipal Association (RMA). The ASVA supports all 51 summer villages in the province and is a dynamic association advocating the interests of members to the provincial government and other stakeholders. Through Advocacy, Communication, and Education, the ASVA empowers summer villages in achieving strong and effective local government. This is a part-time position approximately 0.33 FTE. The ASVA does not have a permanent office location and the successful candidate will establish a home office or other office location as approved by the ASVA Board of Directors.
The Executive Director reports to the ASVA President and under the leadership of the Executive Committee, is accountable to the Board of Directors.
1. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall operations and delivery of day-to-day services, including:
- act as the administrative head of the ASVA;
- as a member of the Executive, participate in all discussions including advising, providing assistance, making recommendations and offering support on the full range of the matters affecting the ASVA;
- prepare for and attend all meetings of the Association, Executive and Committees, and includes distribution of all materials in a timely fashion prior to the meetings;
- provide written and verbal reports as may be reasonably required;
- provides leadership and ensures all ASVA's bylaws, policies and programs are effectively coordinated and delivered in a responsive and effective manner;
- establish the office and effectively manages all resources of the ASVA;
- perform all financial functions of the association which includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets;
- establish, implement and advocate bylaws, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in order to achieve the objectives and goals of the ASVA and the Board of Directors;
- work with the provincial government and other municipal partners in order to foster healthy relationships and achieve the objectives and goals of the ASVA;
- participate in events and functions, which will foster and sustain a positive image of the ASVA;
- ensure member summer village contact information is kept current;
- provide members with information on provincial initiatives and other events or opportunities.
2. The Executive Director is responsible for the arrangements and implementation of the Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting (AGM), including:
- assist the ASVA Conference Organizing Committee in identifying requirements and actions necessary to successfully organize and execute the annual conference;
- make arrangement for the facility;
- prepare all necessary AGM documentation and distribute according to bylaw requirements;
- prepare an Annual Report in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Possess a Degree and/or Diploma in Business or Public Administration or equivalent. A Degree relating to Project Management or Environmental Studies is also an asset;
- Demonstrated senior level management/administration experience (minimum 5 years);
- Demonstrated financial management and budgeting process skills;
- Must be a strategic thinker and have good people relationship skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of government and other stakeholders. An asset if there is experience and knowledge of summer villages;
- Able to develop & implement communication strategies, briefing notes, planning strategies, correspondence; speak with ease in front of large & small groups;
- Strong business / writing skills working with all aspects of Microsoft Office;
- Able to manage social media platforms including the website and twitter posts.
For a full position description, please visit the ASVA website at http://www.asva.ca/asva-member-job-openings.html
Interested applicants are invited to apply in confidence directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday, February 22, 2021
The ASVA thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.