The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Under the guidance of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Executive Director is responsible for functioning as an arm of the office of the Chief Administrative Officer working within the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and is responsible for a Division in Rocky View County. The role of the Executive Director is to work harmoniously with the CAO and Executive Leadership Team to design, develop and implement a corporate strategic business implementation plan for the County in a manner that is both cost and time-efficient. The Executive Director is charged with the responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the Division of oversight, which includes guiding, leading and mentoring staff; ensuring that objectives are met; as well as developing business plans in collaboration with his/her management team.
As the Executive Director, the incumbent guides and directs a management team to provide planning, budgeting, and evaluation of the operations and delivery of services in accordance with appropriate legislation, bylaws, objectives, policies, and programs, effectively and efficiently pursuant to a Corporate Strategic Business Plan.
The Executive Director is accountable to the CAO or delegate who he/she reports to on a regular basis – quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. As a key member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), the Executive Director governs through strategic direction and oversees the administration and operations, provides integration and as needed directs the Municipal Corporation by supporting appropriate options and decisions.
- In collaboration with the ELT, the incumbent shares responsibility for preparing recommendations for the Council Strategic Plan and translating the Council Strategic Plan into respective Divisional initiatives and objectives, by clearly communicating them to Management and ensuring departmental goals and business plans are aligned with Council strategies.
- Responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring multi-year and annual objectives for the Division to meet Council direction.Provide leadership and guidance to Departments, monitoring the progress towards those goals and anticipating the resources required to achieve them.
- Be well informed of everything that goes on in the organization and Division of oversight. This includes staff, budget, corporate assets, and all other corporate resources, to help make the best use of them in order to raise the County service levels as well as the County profile.
- Develop, implement, administer and maintain Division policies and procedures, aligned with the Rocky View policy framework.
- Direct Divisional planning, development, and delivery of programs and services, and foster changes and improvements that make these programs and services cost effective and efficient delivering quality services that support and improve the quality of life of County residents and ratepayers.
- Attend all related leadership meetings, and the meetings of such boards, committees, authorities, commissions, or other bodies as assigned or deemed necessary.
- Be prepared and submit reports, answer questions, and provide appropriate recommendations regarding the above-mentioned areas.
- Bewell informed of changes within the Calgary region and the impacts of the Calgary Metropolitan Regional Board’s direction and decisions on the County to ensure that the County’s strategic growth objectives are identified in the Regional Growth & Servicing Plan, and be prepared to address other issues or challenges that may arise.
- Establish and foster positive relationships within the community, with other levels of government and the media, and act as a liaison on issues of community or corporate concern, in accordance with the County's external relations agenda.
- Emphasize the view of the residents and stakeholders in setting priorities. Utilize feedback from both residents and stakeholders in making decisions. Advocate for policies and processes that benefit internal and/or external relationships.
- Resolve issues expeditiously, and ensure that employee resources are in place and utilized effectively to meet the service delivery standards of the County.
- Participate on related boards and agencies and provide advice, assistance, and alternate solutions to various committees, boards, etc.Ensure that all statements and recommendations reflect the best interest of the County; and represent/defend the County's position at administrative and judicial tribunals.
- Maintain awareness of and adheres to the County's OH&S policies by following responsibilities as outlined in the Health and Safety Manual; comply with all safe work procedures and the OH&S program requirements; monitor and enforce subordinate compliance with the OH&S program.
- Committed to serving others
- Lead to make others better
- Civic-centric perspective – citizens and Council service approach
- Credibility – exceeds expectations and consistent
- Engages employees
- Broad focused
- Analytical assessment capacity - programs, services and finances
- Experienced financial acumen
- Forward thinker – visionary able to articulate objectives
- Model Executive motivator – inspires confidence
- Participate in all short- and long-term financial planning processes, ensuring continued improvement in all facets of the Division’s and County’s financial affairs.
- Ensure effective financial planning and expenditure controls are in place and is accountable for fiscal responsibility, efficiency, and restraint, while maintaining integrity and effectiveness in all aspects of administration for programs and services of responsibility.
- Participates in the preparation of annual budgets for submission to Council for operating and capital programs in accordance with guidance from the CAO pursuant to the Municipal Government Act.
- Monitor and provide reports to the CAO on the operating and capital budgets; and in particular report on variances between budgeted and actual expenditures.
A degree in a related discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree in a related discipline, along with a minimum ten years (10) years of diversified experience with extensive experience at a senior management level and certified in Local Government Management/Administration.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in all matters.
- The ability to deal effectively in political environments at all levels.
- Excellent leadership skills, and experience in strategic planning, organizational development, and policy development.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain effective internal and external working relationships.
- The ability to prioritize and effectively manage time in an atmosphere of tight timelines, frequent interruptions, and changing priorities.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in business and municipal management.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs. Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.