This position is responsible for providing robust, timely and efficient accounting processes and financial reporting that meets the needs of both internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent is responsible for implementing effective internal controls over financial reporting and provides support to the organization through training, advice and analysis as the technical expert on generally accepted accounting principles. This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
The Town of Manning is a small community located in a rural setting just 1 hour north of the Town of Peace River with a population of 1,183. Town of Manning features a Fire Department RCMP Detachment, Hockey Arena and many other community staples such as schools, library, community hall, and golf course and business services and other family and community social services.
- Implement robust and efficient accounting processes that allow accurate and timely delivery of financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act and Town policies and procedures.
- Analyze monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to identify trends over time, provide feedback for future budget cycles and determine the completeness and accuracy of the information reported.
- Prepare supporting documentation necessary for a detailed review and audit of all financial statement balances and significant transactions.
- Prepare the municipal financial information return and reporting to external parties under various contracts and agreements.
- Support the audit process for Town operations, the consolidated entity, and FCSS.
- Prepare routine reporting such as Statistics Canada quarterly reports.
- Monitor and maintain detailed financial data such as capital asset inventories and transactions, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Identify necessary changes to data structure in order to meet reporting needs.
- Ensure internal reporting meets the needs of internal customers for decision making, while remaining compliant with Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Ensure external reporting meets the objectives of Council and the public.
- Prepare and present the Annual Budget
- Research and apply for grant funding
- Manage the Town insurance policies and ensure all required amendments are made
- Responsible on an ongoing basis to assess risks related to financial reporting and business processes, and determine appropriate responses.
- Implement internal controls over financial reporting processes and monitor them for effectiveness to ensure financial reporting is accurate, complete and in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act and Town policies and procedures.
- Post-secondary degree in Accounting, or equivalent
- Five (5) to six (6) years' related experience including two (2) to (3) years’ experience in a public accounting firm
- Municipal experience considered an asset
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation required
- Public Sector Financial Reporting and Accounting course or equivalent an asset
- Project Management training an asset
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered. An excellent benefits package is available.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
Town of Manning
P.O. Box 125,
Manning, Alberta T0H 2M0