Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farm-land, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
The Finance Coordinator reports to Manager, Financial Reporting. This position is responsible for assisting with the preparation and distribution of various financial statements for the Municipality to Management and Council. The incumbent will also assist in managing various aspects of the Municipality’s external financial and compliance reporting processes which include planning and coordination of the annual audit process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare monthly operational and capital budget to actual reports.
- Prepare quarterly operational and capital budget to actual reports, including variances.
- Annually assist in the preparation and distribution of both internal and external financial statements and financial information returns, maintaining the highest quality, reliability and accuracy.
- Manage monthly closing processes, including reconciliations and analysis of related accounts.
- Assist in coordination of the annual audit process, with external auditors. The process includes completing the annual depreciation process, moving Work in Progress to Fixes Assets, etc.
- Assist with developing and maintaining the integrity of the financial reporting process and financial controls.
- Coordinate, develop and update written policies and procedures for the financial reporting process.
- Maintain and strengthen internal controls for financial reporting processes.
- Research and resolve accounting issues including evaluation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements to ensure compliance.
- Prepare work schedules and other work papers in support of the Municipality’s corporate and other generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) financial statements.
- Coordinate the review and publication process for the corporate and other GAAP financial statements.
- Coordinate with Information Systems Technician to improve and enhance financial data reporting techniques.
- Conduct annual review of all assumptions used in classifying fund codes and object codes for external financial statement presentation and ensuring all data is complete and accurate.
- Research software applications and tools that can be utilized to improve and accelerate the compilation of financial statements in the future.
- Compile and report on historical data as requested by Management, Council and external agencies.
- Assume responsibility for financial sections of all compliance reporting identified.
- Maintain Financial Accounting and Reporting (FARM) manual for use by appropriate accounting personnel.
- Other accounting related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business related field is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in finance, specifically in financial analysis and reporting.
- Working understanding in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), requirements and practices.
- Experience in Municipal accounting is required.
- Experience with Diamond software is required. Experience with Workteck and Questica software is beneficial.
- Must be proficient in MS Office with particular skill in Excel.
- Ability to interpret financial statements.
- Accounting skills and familiarity with Municipal finances, budgets, taxes, assessments and mill rates.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and computerized financial systems.
- Experience with Diamond Municipal software is required and Worktech is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to think logically and complete work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.