Under the direction of the Corporate Services Director, the Finance Manager is responsible for the accurate and timely management of the financial records as well as supervision of all positions within the Finance Department.
This employee is a respected member of an effective working team, dedicated to maintaining and improving our community and as such, serves the public with courtesy and respect.
As an employee, this person shall establish and maintain a good working relationship with management and staff in all departments. Sound judgment and discretion must be used when responding to inquiries regarding classified and confidential information.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Training of administration staff in all areas of the finance office including taxation and assessment, accounts payable, accounts receivable and utilities.
- Ensures all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Reviews internal controls and recommends improvements.
- Preparation of the financial reports, grant reporting, working paper files and financial statements for the Town and related bodies.
- Assists with budget reports, mill rate calculations, and presentations to Council.
- Processes monthly payroll remittances ensuring submissions from all departments are accurate for electronic transfer.
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the Tangible Capital Assets Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of GAAP, Public Sector Accounting and the Municipal Government Act
- Professional Accounting designation is preferred.
- Knowledge of Diamond Software and Microsoft would be an asset.
- Responsible for the management and maintenance of financial software.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills; capable of dealing effectively with Town Council, staff and the general public.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Hours of work shall be 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM and includes a 1 hour (unpaid) period for lunch and two 15 minute (paid) breaks.
- Term will be from March 2020 for a duration of approximately one year, this may change at the discretion of the Corporate Services Director.
- The physical environment requires the employee to work indoors in a climate-controlled environment.
- May be requested to work overtime and weekends as needed.
Please email, fax, or deliver your resume to:
Meghan Saskiw, Finance Manager
PO Box 640
Vegreville, AB T9C 1R7