The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, the Financial Accountant is a key contributor within the Finance Department. This position assists in the monthly accounting and forecasting for both capital and operations. A high degree of professional judgement and independence is required in performing these duties while supporting Town Departments and maintaining strong working relationships with all stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Providing financial guidance and analytical support to all departments;
- Account reconciliation, analysis and forecasting of capital projects on a monthly basis;
- Account reconciliation, analysis and forecasting of monthly operating expenditures compared to budget;
- Production of monthly accruals and management reports;
- Assisting with the budget and year end audit processes;
- Assist in the implementation of Caseware software;
- Develop and maintain cooperative, collaborative and strategic relationships with all departments;
- Assist the Finance Manager with other ad hoc reporting and other requirements.
Required Education & Experience:
- A minimum of three (3) years of public practice experience;
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a professional accounting designation (CPA);
- Experience in municipal government sector considered an asset;
- Ability to use a variety of Microsoft Office applications;
- Familiarity with Caseware is considered an asset.
Competencies and Behaviours:
- A highly organized problem solver with the proven ability to think and act strategically supported by strong analytical skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- A team player that integrates a high degree of personal drive and motivation towards team support, collaboration and reaching organizational goals;
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions, manage priorities and adapt to change in a dynamic environment, while effectively interacting with peers;
- Positive relationship management, communication and consulting skills in order to build positive relationships with all departments.
Compensation: The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on your experience and qualifications.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above as well as your resume quoting Competition #: TOS2020-02 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.