Under the administrative direction of the City Clerk, the Fire Chief is responsible for directing and leading the Lloydminster Fire Department which is a combination Fire Service that is comprised of both Fulltime and paid on call Firefighters. This individual plans, organizes, directs and controls the activities of the department. The position is responsible for planning, directing and evaluating the organization, financial management, general administration, and efficient operation of the fire suppression and prevention activities of the Lloydminster Fire Department with the goal of mitigating losses of life and property due to fire. In addition to managing the internal affairs of the department, the Chief is responsible for coordinating departmental activities with other departments, local community organizations, and various stakeholder groups. Supervision is exercised over all firefighters, may need to assume incident command over all large emergency incidents. The work performed is characterized by the exercise of independent judgment in the development of short and long-range plans, rules, regulations and policies at the direction of the City Clerk, City Manager and City Council, and in accordance with generally accepted industry standard practices. The Chief is responsible for assuring the department is managed and performs professionally to deliver the highest level of service to the community.
- Plans, organizes and directs all activities of the Fire Department.
- Act as the main public figure while representing the Fire Department for the Public, Elected Officials, and Executive Leadership Team.
- Reviews and analyzes policies, procedures, and operations. Makes recommendations for changes as necessary.
- Establishes budget priorities and prepares departmental budget. Monitors and controls expenditures of department.
- Develop long range operational and planning needs for the department. Including but not limited to apparatus, facilities, equipment, staffing, and programming.
- Develops, recommends, and implements plans, programs & SOP’s for the Fire Department within Council approval.
- Prepares and monitors the annual and long-rang operational and capital budgets for the department in accordance with approved guidelines.
- Anticipates and projects staffing requirements; maintains necessary staffing levels. Ensures qualified personnel are recruited, hired, and trained.
- Responds to all major incidents and commands firefighting operations. Be able to be contacted at all times to assist others in the absence of the Fire Chief on the Emergency Scene.
- Investigates the source and circumstances of fires to detect their causes.
- Promotes positive customer service environment internally and externally.
- Participates as an active member of the City of Lloydminster Emergency Management team
- Evaluates the work of subordinates, guides them and identifies needs for development.
- Maintains extensive contacts with outside agencies and the community. Attends meetings as the Department’s representative and meets with citizens, citizens’ groups.
- Enforces fire prevention legislation of Alberta and Saskatchewan and the fire prevention bylaws of the City. Liaises and provides necessary information and reports to both provinces.
- Implementation of the Fire Master plan in accordance with Council priorities and budgetary allocations.
- Participates, promotes and supports the City of Lloydminster Health and Safety Policies and Principles
- Other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree related to the Fire Department or Local Government Administration or a certificate in Business Administration.
- NFPA 1001 - Firefighter 2
- NFPA 1021 - Fire Officer 4
- NFPA 1041 - Fire Service Instructor I
- NFPA 1033 - Fire Investigator
- NFPA 1031 - Fire Inspector II
- ICS 300
- Solid working knowledge of legislation related to the fire service for both Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Must possess a Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement registered in either Alberta or Saskatchewan. This position may be required to drive a personal vehicle or municipal vehicle for business purposes.
- Must maintain a residency within the corporate limits of the City of Lloydminster.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Successful applicant must provide proof of qualifications.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.