The Town of Thorsby is looking for a detail-oriented individual that has working knowledge of municipal accounting (Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains) and the MGA along with strong leadership skills.
Reporting to the Town Manager, the General Accountant is responsible for the financial management, accounting and asset management services and reporting functions for the Town of Thorsby and is a key member of the administrative team. This position assists in the development and execution of procedures and guidelines and internal audits to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and reports.
Complying with all bylaws, policies, regulations, legislation and other criteria in a professional, safe, timely and efficient manner ensuring quality support and information to team members, public and Town Council.
Financial reporting, development and recommendation of financial bylaws, polices & internal controls
- Prepare operating and capital budgets
- Develop multi-year operating budget including long term cashflow projections
- Co-ordinate the preparation of the long-term capital plan including funding recommendations
- Preparation of variance reports
- Utilizing a utility rate model, assist with the projection of utility rate changes
- Property taxation and recovery
Banking, investments, reserve funds, debentures and long term financial planning
- Manage the Town’s investment portfolio within the guidelines of the MGA, Town policies with the goal of maximizing the rate of return with minimal risk
- Bank reconciliations
- Manage reserve funds and debentures
- Grant administration, researching, monitoring and reporting
- Cash flow analysis
- Tendering of banking services as required
Annual Audit and Financial Statements
- Co-ordinate he annual audit process with external auditors
- Prepare year end working papers
- Ensure the annual FIR and SIR are prepared and submitted to Municipal Affairs within the deadline
- General Ledger reconciliations
- Liaise with departments to maintain asset database (additions/deletions) and accuracy and balances to General Ledger
- Update/revise asset information for planning and budgeting purposes
Full Cycle Payroll functions
Education and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree with a concentration in account or an Accounting Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Experience in general municipal accounting and the M.G.A.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office with the ability to access date from various financial and non-financial information systems
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains financial software is an asset
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, professional, service-oriented relationships. Must be analytical with attention to detail and maintaining a high degree of accuracy is essential
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above as well as your resume via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to
Town of Thorsby
Attention: Christine Burke
Thorsby, AB T0C 2P0
The Town of Thorsby thanks all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.