The Town of Bonnyville is seeking an individual to work within a team-oriented organization to undertake the role of General Manager of Corporate Services. The Town of Bonnyville employs approximately 75 full-time and casual staff to provide services to the growing community.
The General Manager of Corporate Services reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and is a key member of the Senior Management leadership team. The General Manager is accountable for a range of departments, including Financial Services, Human Resources, Legislative and Legal Services, Records Management, and Information Technology departments, led by the Director of Finance that reports to the General Manager. The General Manager position includes significant involvement in all aspects of the municipal operation including policy development, strategic planning and implementation, project management, and organizational and staff development. This role provides guidance to teams within their portfolio to contribute to high-level decision-making and is accountable for achievement of relevant Council objectives and the Town’s Strategic Plan, in accordance with the Municipal Government Act and Council approved bylaws and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Contribute to and support the strategic direction and the overall management and growth of the Town, specifically by overseeing the strategic development of the Town’s long-term financial plan, capital plan, and overall corporate service plan.
Provide direction to:
- Finance: Procurement, contracts, vendor management, budgets, revenue
- Human Resources: payroll, benefits, health and safety
- Information Technologies: IT, telecommunication, records management
- Corporate Services: governance, strategic planning
- Legislative and Legal Services: governance, contract management
- Records Management: governance, audits
- Oversee the Town’s contracts including insurance, employee pension and benefits, computer software and janitorial services.
- Ensure annual renewals and request estimates in accordance with the Town Purchasing and Procurement policy.
- Attend Council meetings and represent the Town on various committees, community meetings, and at public events.
- Stay up to date on legislation in relation to human resources, communication, and information technology, ensuring the Town is compliant with all relevant legislations, policies, and bylaws.
- Promote a culture of fiscally and strategically responsible public service consistent with the Strategic Plan.
- Coordinate with General Managers and Directors to establish service levels and look for efficiencies in all areas by contributing to development of organizational leadership through focused development strategies including talent and performance management.
- Help to create a performance-based culture by ensuring Strategic Plan is implemented and reported on regularly.
- Establish staff performance standards for upcoming year on performance evaluations, monitor performance in conjunction with department Directors.
- Mentor and coach staff to improve decision-making and performance. Provide opportunities to staff for training and development of both technical and people skills.
- Support the Senior Management Team and CAO to disseminate reports and information
- Complete any other assigned duties as required by the CAO.
Qualifications/ Education/ Experience:
- Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or equivalent
- Current CPA designation or other accounting designation is preferred (equivalency will be considered)
- A combination of advanced education and experience in public or business administration will be considered
- Additional experience in Municipal Government operations or finance is desirable
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in leadership roles, demonstrating increasing responsibility and professional development over time
- At least 3 years of supervisory leadership capacity
- In-depth knowledge of municipal financial management, financial audits, information technology, human resources, records management, legal services, and municipal revenue generation and tax processes in the context of municipal management.
- Ability to interpret, report, provide, advise, and provide guidance related to complex municipal affairs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, specifically in relation to leading multifaceted teams across a variety of interrelated but independent Departments.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships in an environment with fluctuating conditions.
- Efficient negation, collaboration, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills related to interpretation of complex bylaws, resolutions, agreements, and contracts.
- An understanding of the current legal environment in which the municipality operates including applicable federal, provincial, and local legislation, regulations, standards, guidelines, and best practices.
- Working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act.
The Town of Bonnyville offers a comprehensive salary and benefit package.
Submit application to:
Town of Bonnyville
Bonnyville AB T9N 2J7