The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The GIS Technician is responsible for providing technical support for the city's geo-spatial infrastructure data gathering process as a part fulfillment of the GIS data management strategy. The incumbent will be involved with field data gathering using various field equipment and the information collected will be used to populate the city GIS system. This position reports to the GIS Supervisor.
This is a full-time, temporary position for five (5) months beginning May 2019.
- Assist GIS staff with maintenance and development of spatial data and metadata related to sewers, water, storm, and roads & drainage using survey and mapping grade equipment.
- Use CAD/GIS software packages and tools to update, edit and perform QA/QC spatial/attribute information.
- Capture data from various sources (Aerial imagery, As-Built drawings, and scanned documents) to produce infrastructure assets incorporated in to the corporate GIS system.
- Work with GIS staff, Engineering staff and Public Works field staff to ensure spatial accuracy and quality of data.
- Perform updates to existing spatial information, create working maps for field data gathering, and support the GIS staff as required.
- Research data collection techniques required to complete field work in an efficient manner.
- Work/understand municipal engineering infrastructure as it relates to GIS/Data gathering.
- Provide feedback to Engineering department with regard to GIS, Infrastructure, and data collection.
- Adhere to organizations safety policies.
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Effective planning and organizational skills to produce measurable results.
- Real-time spatial data collection techniques, experience in mapping grade data collectors.
- Understanding of coordinate systems and basic mapping concepts.
- General knowledge on Municipal Infrastructure (Sidewalks, Drainage, Roads etc.).
- Knowledge and experience with personal computers and related hardware such as storage, archiving, data output, printing, file transfer and maintenance.
- Possess a valid Alberta driver’s license.
- Ability to work in outdoor environments.
- Certificate/Diploma in Geographic Information Systems, Geomatics Engineering or Technology with a minimum of six months hands-on experience in ArcGIS software and AutoCAD or MicroStation is preferred.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.