Intergovernmental and Corporate Planning Advisor (58-2020)
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Rate of Pay: $74,417 - $97,928 per annum
Hours of Work: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
Competition Close Date: December 4, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found
At Sturgeon County, we are looking for a candidate that has brilliant writing and interpersonal skills, strong political acumen, and an intrinsic ability to thrive in a fast-paced political environment. If this sounds like you, please read on!
The Intergovernmental and Corporate Planning Advisor provides key support to regional and intermunicipal initiatives, special projects, process improvement and decision making within a complex organizational, regional, and provincial dynamic. This position coordinates recommendations and implements the tactical planning of issues-management, legislative and regulatory directives, and advocacy efforts.
Government Advocacy Implementation and Intergovernmental Project Support
- Support the implementation of regional, provincial, and federal Advocacy Planning to advance Sturgeon County interests. Develop materials that align efforts to the County’s strategic objectives as identified in the Strategic Plan and Corporate Business Plan.
- Research, analyze, and consult with departments to formulate, document, and propose County strategy, positions, and approaches. Translate technical considerations into plain language.
- Facilitate the organization of several key intermunicipal and internal Committees (whose membership often includes elected officials and senior administration); this may involve the strategic planning of meeting agendas and associated materials, preparing or securing briefings/advisories/position papers, developing confidential or sensitive documents, recording minutes and maintaining action, event, and connection registers.
- Progress and support legislatively required processes, such as Intermunicipal Collaboration Frameworks (ICFs) and Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDPs), Joint Use Agreements, and others.
- Support the development of comprehensive and complex Request for Decision documents and Briefing matters to appear before Council to progress initiatives of an intergovernmental nature, or to support other program areas in their development of these materials.
- Develop Terms of References, Project Charters, work plans and execute other special projects and assignments as required. Investigate leading best practices and successful collaboration models to support organizational strategic objectives.
Regional Affairs Coordination and Advisory
- Maintain an appropriate understanding of issues, opportunities and functioning of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB), and associated initiatives. Facilitate effective communication with EMRB staff, EMRB communities and other partner municipalities.
- Attend and participate (when required) in EMRB and initiative meetings, which includes necessary meeting preparation and analysis on how decision points apply to Sturgeon County.
- Support strategic, short-term and long-term corporate decision making to facilitate enhanced organizational competitiveness.
- Provide analysis support in the development of key deliverables such as the Strategic Plan, Corporate Business Plan, and department business plans.
- Undertake corporate planning-focused special projects, when required.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
Job Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to provide and maintain a home-based office as a condition of employment, with the ability to work from the Sturgeon County office or travel outside of the community, when required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Communications, Political Science, or another related field (or equivalent education with relevant experience).
- Five (5) years or more professional experience, preferably in a municipal or other public sector setting.
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities is required.
- Experience in senior administrative advisory and project management role is required.
- Familiarity with municipal legislation and regulatory processes is an asset.
- Well-developed project management skills and a strong ability to communicate to a broad range of stakeholders in a clear and succinct manner, in written report and verbal/presentation form.
- Ability to proactively consider and think critically on future organizational impacts arising out of legislative and regulatory changes, regional decision points, and internal policy/procedure directions.
- Strong ability to respond to a heavy and shifting workload and communicate status of current tasks and next steps.
- Comprehensive knowledge and practical experience dealing with public policies, procedures and key functions and operations of a municipal government.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to establish trust and credibility with colleagues, stakeholders, and consultants.
- Strong business and political acumen and ability to work in a politically sensitive and charged environment with high degree of discretion; ability to manage confidential matters and materials.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an independent and team environment.
- A driver’s license is required, with travel sometimes required outside the community.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, if required.
Please submit your application by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to: email@example.com
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.