Position Description Summary
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance, the Intermediate Accountant is responsible for providing support for all areas relating to accounting, financial reporting, and payroll. This position requires strong organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
The Intermediate Accountant will assist with timely and accurate processing in all areas relating to General Ledger, AP, AR, utility billing, taxation, payroll, and cash receipting.
The ability to deal with confidential information with a high degree of diplomacy is needed for this role.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with preparing the County’s annual operating and capital budgets
- Assist with the preparation of year-end financial working papers for the annual audit, liaison with the County’s auditor
- Maintain the General Ledger by preparing journal entries, researching and reconciling, research background information, analyze accounting information, and solve problems
- Prepare and maintain statistical and financial reports.
- Assist with reconciling all major accounts and bank statements for the County
- Assist with the accurate and timely maintenance of the County’s receivables sub-ledgers
- Assist with the accurate and timely maintenance of the County’s tax roll
- Assist with the accurate and timely maintenance of the County’s utility sub-ledger.
- Assist with the timely collection of outstanding taxes, utility, and accounts receivable accounts
- Maintain the fixed asset schedules ensuring financial integrity and application of appropriate capitalization rules and policies
- Responsible for GST Reporting
- Provide backup to Payroll & Benefits Administrator such as running the bi-weekly payroll.
- Grant reporting, reconciliation, and follow up for federal and provincial grant programs
- Ensure that financial transactions and reporting comply with Public Sector Accounting Handbook and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain efficiency and effectiveness of the computerized financial system (iCity), ensure security, and internal controls
- Develop and maintain appropriate policies and procedures for the financial functions
- Ensure that Westlock County’s Health and Safety Program as well as Occupational Health and Safety standards are followed.
- Promote a safe work environment, ensuring compliance with all government regulations, and Health & Safety policies and practices. Participation on the County’s Joint Health and Safety Committee as required.
- This position may be called to perform duties as required by the Director of Emergency Management during a State of Local Emergency.
- Performs other related duties as required by CAO or Director.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of this position.
Skills and Attributes Overview
To be successful in this position, the applicant will need:
- Knowledge/experience in municipal legislation, municipal finance systems and Public Sector Accounting, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Highly motivated and positive individual
- Self-directed and able to make decisions independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong team-building skills
- Maintain high ethical standards, confidentiality, and personal integrity
- An ability to work effectively within a team environment
Education and Experience Overview
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in an accounting-related field or be enrolled in an accounting degree with a minimum of two years’ accounting related experience.
- An accounting designation or working towards an accounting designation would be preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and accounting applications
- Experience with iCity, Questica, and Caseware would be considered an asset
Compensation is based on the union collective agreement and includes a competitive benefit package.
Interested parties are invited to submit a cover letter and resume outlining their qualifications and current relevant experience and certifications to:
10336-106 Street, Westlock, AB T7P 2G1
CLOSING DATE: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM.
Or fill out the form below to apply online!