As Alberta's 'Botanical Arts City', St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 66,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert among the best places to live in Canada.
The City of St. Albert’s Legal & Legislative Services Department is currently recruiting a Legislative Officer to join their team. As a Legislative Officer you will work alongside two other Legislative Officers to facilitate the flow of information to Council, Council’s Committees, and the City’s Appeal Boards which includes preparing agendas, notices, and ensuring proper meeting arrangements have been made. Legislative Officers also attend and take minutes of Council meetings, certain Committee meetings, and Appeal Board hearings. Once the meetings have concluded, Legislative Officers process the outcomes of meetings including the preparation of minutes, action lists, decisions, bylaws, policies, information requests, etc. Other duties associated with this position include assisting with processing of Requests to Access Information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, assisting with election and census projects, providing backup for cemetery services, and coordinating the recruitment and selection of Councillors and citizens to the City’s Boards and Committees.
Legislative Officers will be required to perform many of their duties utilizing agenda management software. This will include preparation of agendas, taking minutes, and Board and Committee member recruitments. A high degree of comfort with the use of technology will be required.
HOURS OF WORK
We offer a compressed work schedule of 72 hours bi-weekly. Primarily Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with a regular day off (RDO) every two weeks. Applicants must be able to work flexible hours (approximately 3 – 5 evenings per month for which a modified schedule or time-in-lieu will be provided).
- Post secondary education in Office Administration or a related field.
- Five (5) years progressively responsible and diversified municipal government experience or equivalent experience in an executive administrative role.
An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Experience utilizing agenda management software is preferred.
- The ability to deal with competing priorities in a fast-paced politically sensitive environment.
- Highly developed written, verbal, listening, editing and time management skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to synthesize information (what is being said) into a coherent, concise and accurate summary.
- Strong administrative and meeting management skills, including a high degree of proficiency in minute-taking and working knowledge of parliamentary procedures.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
$59,831 – $72,793 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a generous and comprehensive flexible benefit package.
Candidates applying for this competition may be considered for future opportunities.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert careers website www.stalbert.ca/employment
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.