The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Shared Principles, innovation is encouraged; communication and learning are continuous in this team environment while maintaining a positive work and family life balance.
The Manager of Corporate Planning is responsible for managing the City's corporate planning efforts within the City's integrated planning framework, and for the development and maintenance of a corporate performance program, the Operational Effectiveness program and the Business Continuity program. The incumbent leads and facilitates the organization in corporate planning activities leading to the development of the Corporate Plan. This position reports to the Director, Integrated Planning and Strategic Services.
Managing Corporate Planning, including:
- Establish an integrated planning framework for the organization. Take an enterprise view of planning.
- Review all major planning documents for alignment and appropriate integration and collaborate with the respective functional departments to ensure alignment and integration.
- Lead and implement annual corporate planning activities. Define annual process in conjunction with Finance and City Clerk's Office.
- Facilitate related internal planning workshops. Facilitate decision making by presenting options and recommendations.
- Author the Corporate Plan for presentation and approval of Council.
- Lead an annual corporate planning debrief with Finance to review and refine the planning and budgeting processes.
- Develop and maintain corporate planning policies, procedures, guidelines, templates, and tools etc. to support the corporate planning process.
- Lead internal monitoring on the progress on the plan and tracking issues and action plans to resolve issues that may result in delays in project delivery. Coordinate with Corporate Project Management Specialist and author regular reports on the status of the Corporate Plan initiatives to SLT and Council.Provide oversight in the development of related presentations to Council.
Program Management - Corporate Performance Measures, Operational Effectiveness Review, and Business Continuity, including:
- Provide the leadership to ensure the efficient and effective ongoing operation of these enterprise-wide programs and services, and continual enhancements to the programs and their processes.
- Design and maintain a Corporate Performance Measurement Program to identify and develop outcome-based performance indicators and measures for the Corporate Plan.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of key strategic performance indicators and corporate scoreboards resulting in corporate reporting, monitoring and forecasting models.
- Provide project management leadership to ensure a comprehensive organizational effort is undertaken to develop the measures, establish tracking and reporting. Update measures as required.
- Develop the process of determining operational reviews for recommending decisions to senior management.
- Provide project management leadership to support the business ownersand to provide a central point of contact for consultants undertaking the review.
- In collaboration with business owners, provide a report to management on evaluating the success of implementations.
- Provide project management leadership and work with business areas to support them in the development of these three (3) programs.
- Develop Request for Proposals (RFPs), manage RPF processes and evaluate submissions in cooperation with business owners for these three (3) programs.
Stakeholder Relations, including:
- Work with the Director to support Council in developing their strategic plan and priorities through an annual strategic planning event.
- Provide expertise and advice to Departments in developing their annual plans and initiatives.
- Provide expertise and advice to management and staff in the development of planning documents to ensure they align with the Strategic Plan and the Corporate Plan.
- Facilitate meetings to discuss how decision making and choice selections can affect the long term viability and overall effectiveness of the organization.
- Post-secondary Degree in Business or equivalent. MBA is advantageous.
- In lieu of education, significant and similar work in local government or as a business or management consultant.
- 10+ years of related experience in the areas of strategic planning, facilitation, project management, change management, corporate performance programs
- Training in these fields would be an asset and obtaining certification in one of more of these fields may be required:
- Project Management (PMP) designation/certification or similar
- Change Management certification an asset.
- Certified Management Consultant.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.