Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position is responsible for facilitating the Town’s strategic planning process and advising on the related plans and strategies. The incumbent provides strategic advice and corporate reporting to senior leadership on potential issues and emerging trends. This role works closely with the Mayor, Council, CAO, Executive and Senior Leadership Team in developing a broad range of communications strategies to proactively support the Town of Cochrane. Through management of the Communications department, this position is responsible for raising the profile of the Town of Cochrane.
- In support of the Mayor, CAO and Senior Leadership Team lead the design, development and implementation of strategic plans and corporate reporting, issues responses and key initiatives to drive business objectives and enhance the Town’s reputation.
- Collaborate with senior leaders to provide strategic counsel and communications support while building positive relationships. This includes actively participating on and providing strategic communications support to the Senior Leadership Team and Council.
- Research, prioritize and respond to emerging issues. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, determining appropriate courses of action, referrals or responses.
- Lead or participate on high-profile corporate projects or initiatives to ensure proactive issues management and communications strategies are researched and developed.
- Lead the Communications department in the development, execution and evaluation of internal and external communications initiatives, and assume responsibility for the associated budgets and resources. Define the functions of team members, provide mentorship and coaching, oversee hiring, appraisal and discipline.
- Develop and manage the completion of annual departmental goals and objectives, strategies, and administrative policies. This includes the development and implementation of an internal and external communications strategy that aligns with and supports Council and Senior Leadership Team priorities.
- Provide dedicated communications support during emergencies or critical events.
- Liaise with other local governments, community, professional and business associations as needed to support community engagement and special initiatives.
- Participate as a member of the Town management team and contribute to leadership and management practices across the organization.
- Foster the Town’s Health and Safety program through training, facility inspections, hazard assessment and reporting.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications or related field
- Eight to 10 years of related experience, with proven results in strategic planning, communications and media relations
- Previous supervisory experience
- Municipal government experience would be considered an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Superior communication skills, including strategic communications planning, writing and issues management.
- Proven leadership and mentorship skills.
- Motivated, flexible, self-starter with demonstrated ability of achieving performance objectives and business goals.
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates a strong grounding municipal and provincial issues.
Certifications, Licenses and/or Designations:
- Professional accreditation with Canadian Public Relations Society or International Association of Business Communicators is preferred.
- Valid Alberta Drivers License
- FOIP Certification
- Leadership for Safety Excellence
- Emergency Management Training
- Include a cover letter with your resume; upload in one document.
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey.
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST July 5, 2019
- Applications must be submitted online at Cochrane.ca/jobs