The Municipality has an opening for a Manager of Development and Trades to provide oversight to the Development and Trades Department which includes land uses, development permitting, Safety Codes and facility maintenance/construction. The Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and directing work assignments, providing staff with the training and support needed to perform their work efficiently and safely, developing logistics strategies to ensure efficient use of monetary, equipment and materials resources, and providing input into capital and operating budgets.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and manages resources within the Development & Trades Department including staffing, costs, equipment, contracts, and materials to deliver program services within the approved budget, operating policies, procedures and applicable legislation.
- Provides active leadership to unionized staff in all functional areas of the department including development, trades, safety codes, facility maintenance and others as required.
- Develops, reviews, maintains, updates and appropriately implements various development services bylaws and policies as required.
- Undertakes detailed technical and plan reviews and prepares Council recommendations as required.
- Examines and recommends efficiencies or changes to service delivery methods with the goal of improving our service and aligning with industry established best practices.
- Coordinates and prepares reports and presentations to Council and other agencies as required.
- Assists in the development of the budget as it pertains to the Development & Trades Department.
- Participates in the development of department strategic plans, goals and objectives.
- Developing and implementing daily, weekly, and monthly inspection checklists outside of preventive maintenance schedules.
- Responsible for long range planning, providing input for respective facilities’ life cycles, and ensuring that each facility has a long-term schedule of preventative maintenance including all fixtures and mechanical equipment.
- Provides the project management function for new facility construction or renovation.
- Ensures positive interaction with taxpayers, the general public, staff at all levels within the Municipality, the media, other municipalities, senior government departments and any other group with potential interactions with the Municipality’s operational services.
- Provides conflict resolution and problem-solving support to the Development and Trades Department when disputes arise.
- Takes a leadership role in Municipal Emergency Preparedness including providing incident command as required in situations of natural or man-made threats. Will be expected to take an Emergency Management role such as Planning Chief in the EOC/ECC should they become activated.
- The duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative but not all-inclusive.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of development and building practices.
- Knowledge of facility inspection and preventative maintenance practices.
- Knowledge of Alberta Safety Codes.
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness and response.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, to interact with public, staff, and external agencies.
- Excellent conception and analytical skills, with strong facilitation and influencing skills.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and GIS.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to function as a strong team member.
- Ability to adapt to a demanding and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to interpret, develop, implement, and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict resolution.
- Ability to be a positive leader and maintain strong morale with staff.
- General knowledge of municipal operations and the Municipal Government Act would be an asset.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
- Conflict Resolution: A consensus builder with a proven ability of positively engaging people from diverse or polarized positions in the interest of problem-solving. Able to develop proactive solutions through the use of interest-based negotiations.
- Leadership Skills: Provides leadership while giving guidance and support. Mentors and is a positive role model for others.
- Management Skills: A proven record of being able to motivate, plan, direct and evaluate staff. The ability to manage effectively while maintaining a friendly approachable attitude.
- Financial Management: Ability to manage projects and lead the department within budget parameters.
- Communication Skills: A clear, concise and positive communicator who is able to build trust through presenting ideas clearly while effectively listening and incorporating the views of others.
- Flexible and Adaptive: Able to change gears quickly in an ever-changing environment. The ability to demonstrate flexibility and openness to changes in work, personnel or team responsibilities or portfolios.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills: Works cooperatively with others; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; makes people feel important and valued.
- Action Oriented: Can be counted on to get things done; energetic; makes good decisions in a timely manner.
- Composure: Cool under pressure; can handle stress; is a settling influence in a crisis.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The position requires the following:
- Post-secondary education in Civil Engineering Technology, Engineering or a related field.
- Five years of experience with three of those in a management capacity.
- Project Management experience
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Advanced proficiency with computer systems and software
The following would be considered an asset:
- Applicable designation such as CET, P.Eng, PMP
For more information please see the full job description at https://www.crowsnestpass.com/living-here/employment-opportunities-page/employment
Apply before April 26, 2019 via email to:
Kristin Ivey, Manager of Corporate Services