Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farm-land, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Manager, Finance and Administration is responsible for the effective administration of the Finance and Administration department of the Municipality.
- Supervision of employees and all aspects of accounts payable, taxation/assessment, accounts receivable, utilities, reception and records management (including FOIP).
- Training, mentoring, performance evaluations, coaching and monitoring staff.
- Manage the administration of the general ledger.
- Review expenditures to ensure they are coded correctly, and fall within approved budgets, prior to payments being issued.
- Assist with the preparation of departmental and Municipal annual long range financial plans.
- Prepare and administer the Corporate Services budget.
- May assist in Preparing financial budgets and forecasts.
- Ensure the accurate and timely reconciliation of all Municipal bank accounts.
- Complete month-end and year-end general ledger procedures
- Assist in year-end Financial Statement preparations and audit.
- Review quarterly financial statements and analysis.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies.
- Perform variance monitoring and reporting.
- Accountable for the financial accounting systems and procedures.
- May assist in Ensuring insurance claims and registrations are processed.
- Administer all operational and capital grants, including grant applications, tracking, statements of funding and compliance reports.
- Ensure that the GST reports are submitted to the Federal Government accurately and on a timely basis.
- Ensure money invested by the Municipality is invested in accordance with Section 250 of the Municipal Government Act and that the best return as analyzed and realized.
- Develop and recommend policies, plans and programs for the finance and accounting functions of the Municipality.
- Implement approved policies, plans and programs for the finance and accounting functions of the Municipality.
- Assist public and ratepayers with inquiries and concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- CPA designation or close to completion. Extensive municipal finance experience may be considered as an alternative to a CPA designation.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a municipal finance setting.
- Effective supervisory skills and a willingness to work with direct reports and senior management.
- A good Knowledge of Canadian public sector accounting standards.
- A working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience in municipal software (Diamond, Questica, Paramount, and Worktech) would be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, management, and ratepayers.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality. • Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills. • Ability to think logically and complete work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume (stating the position you are applying to), in one of the following ways:
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please quote the position in the subject line)
Mail or Drop Off:
Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079,
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.