Reporting to the Director, Regional Growth Planning, the Manager of GIS and Business Intelligence works as part of an administration team charged with the performing duties as assigned under Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB) Regulation.
This position provides strategic leadership to the organization in the development and implementation of a strategy and business plan to elevate the role of data, information, strategic insights and strategic partnerships in continuing evolve and contribute to the mandate of the Board. This position will be directly responsible for the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Geographic Information Services (EMRGIS) at http://emrgis.emrb.ca/.
The vision of EMRGIS is “A shared regional geographical information service that provides equitable access and support for regional decision making”. The mission of EMRGIS is “To expand regional capacity to deliver regional geographic information services that support regional initiatives through the collaboration of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board and the Edmonton Metropolitan Region municipalities”.
The focus of the position is to advance the organizations capability to provide leadership in advancing the Board’s role in regional spatial data and relevant information to the Edmonton Metropolitan Region (Region), augmented by the integration of business intelligence in a manner that continues to build and advance the mandate and vision of the EMRB (or Board).
In particular, this position will provide leadership in identifying business intelligence opportunities, data analysis and reporting needs and opportunities, and identify strategic partnerships to advance regional information and knowledge.
This position provides management and maintenance of the EMRB spatial data infrastructure and related services including spatial data gathering, data and information analysis, and business intelligence reporting. Thus, this position requires proven technical skills to advance the regional level spatial databases, geospatial analysis, use of data visualization tools, and advancing the reporting of key performance indicators for the Growth Plan.
This position requires an in depth understanding of the Board’s operating environment and requires an interest in going beyond the obvious to seek out the optimal solutions.
- Leads in the research, development and implementation of a regional data and information strategy, leveraging and advancing GIS capabilities and Business Intelligence and includes identifying strategic partnership to achieve the long-term vision
- Leads in the ongoing management and advancement of EMRGIS to support and enhance the Board’s reputation and brand, regional level decision making, policy development and strategic initiatives
- Leads the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of KPI’s for the Growth Plan in collaboration with member municipalities
- Represents the EMRB on internal and external committees and task forces by serving as a technical advisor in the exchange of information or in addressing specific needs with other agencies and organization
- Provides EMRGIS technical support to member municipalities
- Leads the application of GIS grant opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Professional Attributes and Behaviours
The successful candidate possesses the following professional attributes and behaviours:
- Continuous Learner – Continually develops and improves their skill and knowledge to perform effectively and adapt to change in the workplace. Development occurs through a variety of learning opportunities, seeking feedback, and individual reflection.
- Personally Effective - Makes use of all of the personal resources at their disposal (talents, skills, energy, and time) to achieve goals. They are able to work independent and be self-driven with a high degree of quality assurance.
- Tenacious and Results-driven - Sets high goals for themselves and others. They accomplish their goals by effectively working through challenges and demonstrate commitment to the EMRB’s goals.
- Creative Problem Solver - Focuses on improving their practices and results. They are open to new ideas and they maximize available resources. Anticipates, identifies and defines problems. Seeks root causes, develops and implements practical and timely solutions.
- Effective Communicator - Conveys information in a way that is strategic, honest, timely, and respectful with whom they are interacting. Able to lead and facilitate meetings and presentations.
- Strong Culture Builder - Builds and supports a strong positive culture through behaviors and actions that align with EMRB.
- Collaborator & Partner - Works effectively with others to achieve shared goals through cooperation, sharing knowledge, joint problem-solving, and celebrating success.
Professional and Technical Qualifications
The successful candidate possesses the following professional and technical qualifications:
- Must have demonstrated experience in strategic level thinking, strategy development and implementation, business acumen, and working in a political environment.
- Must have a university degree in a relevant discipline such as Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Systems / Management, Engineering or Planning or specialized training or certification or equivalent work experience.
- Must have a minimum of five years of professional experience in business analysis and business intelligence that includes data driven processes to drive decision making
- Must have a minimum of five years of professional experience in the design, development, implementation, and administration of geographic information systems including establishing principles and standards, preferably in a government environment.
- Must have knowledge or technical skills to perform and/or support monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data and information.
- Must have experience with ESRI software applications, especially ArcMap and ArcGIS Online; and a working knowledge of AutoCAD, Google Documents and Microsoft Office experience with advanced GIS modelling, application development and/ or computer programming would be considered an asset
- Should have experience that includes research, analysis, business case development, project management and implementation, procurement, problem solving, systems integration and a strong understanding of spatial data analysis and statistics.
- Should have experience in the use of most the following applications – ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, FME, Adobe Creative Suite, GeoMedia, ERDAS Imagine, QGIS
- Should have experience in the design, development and effective communication methods for KPI reporting
- Should have experience in quality control and quality assurance functions, primarily on cadastral, topographic and natural data layers
- Should have experience in creating databases and dashboards using all relevant data to inform decisions
- Should have experience in auditing existing applications and those under development to ensure accuracy, quality and integrity
- Should have experience in coordinating and integrating data and information systems including managing geodatabase, geographic data processing and spatial analytics
- Should have strong hands-on skills with commercial and open source desktop GIS software
- Should have direct experience in forming strategic partnerships.
Salary and Benefits
This is a fulltime position which offers a competitive salary based on education and experience and includes a comprehensive benefit package.
Please submit to Charlene Chauvette, Office Manager
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.