The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 29,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 250 employees.
We are looking for an inspiring, dynamic individual to lead an innovative team and deliver high quality Information Technology Services and Geomatics Services for the Town of Cochrane. You will provide customer service across the organization and ensure a secure, resilient and reliable information services infrastructure. By working closely with contractors and employees at all levels of the organization, you will maximize the effectiveness of information technology and align technical resource strategies and processes to meet business needs.
Your degree in Computer Science and/or Applied Technology Information Systems with major course work in technology related subjects and 10+ years of direct work experience in a formal Information Technology Management capacity responsible for a diverse organization’s IT operations will be imperative to progressing this municipal government environment. Experience in a public sector environment will be an asset to join our management team.
As the Manager, Information Services you will:
- Lead strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing information services initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future technology systems across the organization.
- Identify opportunities for appropriate and cost-effective investment of resources regarding technology systems, including staffing, sourcing, purchasing and development.
- Develop and implement long/short term strategic and operational plans for the effective and sustainable operations of information services while ensuring alignment with the Cochrane Sustainability Plan, Financial Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership, training, coaching, and support to the Information Services team, establish, monitor and refine job performance standards and performance management, as well as the hiring of new staff. Ensure continuing staff development is provided within budget guidelines to maintain staff at a high level of knowledge and skill.
- Keep current with the trends and issues in the information systems industry, including current technologies and pricing.
- Advise and educate employees and the Senior Leadership Team on best practices and financial impacts.
- Promote and oversee strategic relationships between internal Information Technology and Geomatics stakeholders and external groups, including partner and industry organizations, and vendors.
- Promote and coordinate continuous improvement to Information Technology and Geomatics programs, policies and administrative directives and ensure alignment with Town`s Vision, Mission and Values.
- Develop and track the Information Technology and Geomatics annual operating and capital budgets, ensuring alignment with the organization’s Strategic Plan.
- Lead fiber optic network maintenance and continued investment opportunities.
- Coordinate and lead geomatics projects to maximize the integration of data systems for the benefits of all business units within the organization and enables public access to appropriate data.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a Bachelor of Computer Science and/or Applied Technology Information Systems with major course work in technology related subjects.
- You have 10+ years of direct work experience in a formal Information Technology Management capacity responsible for a diverse organization’s IT operations preferably in a public sector environment.
- You have prior experience in designing, implementing and maintaining network infrastructure, operating systems, server architecture, and all other aspects of network security technologies.
- You have 5+years of directly related experience supervising a department responsible for an organization’s IT operations,
- You have 3+ years of experience with project management for Information Services projects
- You have taken recent courses, workshops, self-directed learning, and research activities to keep current on technology trends and technology best practices in an I.T. governance framework.
- You are a motivated, flexible, self-starter with demonstrated ability of achieving performance objectives and business goals.
- You can build relationships and lead teams.
- You have highly effective project management skills, ensuring successful project delivery.
- You can explain technical concepts and theories to non-technical audiences.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of computer systems characteristics, features and integration capabilities and how they would incorporate within a local government environment and culture.
- You have advanced knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, and outsourced systems.
- You have a thorough knowledge of business processes, management, budgeting and information technology principles.
- You can draft comprehensive business documents including status reports, policies, procedures, project charters, request for proposals (RFP’s) and technology documentation.
Why should you consider working for us?
- Our vision is to be proud of Cochrane’s heritage, embracing our future, we are a dynamic organization creating municipal excellence. We welcome you to be a part of that municipal excellence as we grow from “How the West is Now” and look for innovative opportunities.
- We welcome creative and skilled individuals to join our team; we uphold values of financial, social and environmental sustainability, and are committed to serving the community.
- Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
- If hired, our total compensation package includes: Competitive public sector pay, Comprehensive health and dental benefits, Professional learning and development opportunities, Wellness programs, Pension and saving plans.
How to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position; upload in one document
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST November 18th, 2020
- Applications must be submitted online at Cochrane.ca/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.