The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Community & Business Connections, the Manager of Information Technology will strategically plan, organize, and ensure the execution of all information and technology solution strategies to meet the needs and goals of Rocky View County.
A collaborator with a natural ability to build and cultivate relationships with colleagues, partners, vendors, and stakeholders across the organization, the Manager leads the department of I.T. specialists to ensure availability of all information and technology services needed by the County.
With expertise in information and technology solutions, strategy development, project delivery, and operations management, the Manager works in conjunction with the Executive Director of Community & Business Connections to develop short- and long-term strategies for the department.
The Manager provides leadership, coordination, collaboration, and direction to ensure that services are provided as required in a secure, relevant state, and with measurable results.
- In co-ordination with the Executive Director of Community & Business Connections, the Manager will represent the County through participation in various associations, governmental, and public committees, working groups, and boards.
- Be well informed of County operations and capability needs, industry trends, and budget requirements necessary to enable consistent service levels.
- Participate in all related leadership meetings or other committees and similar bodies as assigned or deemed necessary.
- Responsible to develop a multi-year business plan with associated annual objectives that align with Council strategies and the appropriate availability of resources.
- Accountable to execute and monitor delivery and outcomes associated with the multi-year business plan and associated annual plans adjusting if and as appropriate. Provide relevant progress updates to the Executive Director of Community & Business Connections and stakeholders accordingly.
- Develop, implement, administer, and maintain Department policies and procedures, aligned with the Rocky View policy framework.
- Foster improvement that make change initiatives and services cost effective and efficient, delivering support to increase service to internal stakeholders and to County residents and ratepayers.
- Strategically work with stakeholders to implement efficient and reliable systems to meet the current and future needs of each diverse group of users at the County.
- Participate in all short- and long-term financial planning processes, ensuring continued improvement in all facets of the Department's financial affairs.
- Ensure effective financial planning and expenditure controls, being accountable for fiscal responsibility aligned with Council objectives. Regular reporting of budget versus actuals, explaining variances.
- Prepare and report on annual budgets for operating and capital programs in accordance with guidance from the Executive.
- Maintain awareness of and adhere to the County's Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) policies by following responsibilities as outlined in the Health and Safety Manual; comply with all safe work procedures and the OH&S program requirements; monitor and enforce subordinate compliance with the OH&S program.
- Build and maintain relationships with business managers.
- Manage operational area with an emphasis on efficiency, accuracy, quality, and with a culture of process improvement to ensure a superior level of customer service.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through actively coaching, guiding, and managing the I.T. team, individual members, and contractor or consultant performance.
- Holds responsibility for staffing and resourcing, quality of work, training and development plans, conflict resolution, compensation appropriate to approved business plans, and associated budgets.
- Align each subordinate with priorities to ensure the overall successful delivery of the department achievable goals ensuring any performance dependent resources are identified and provided.
- Provide regular technical guidance, and make decisions with, for, and about resources, including cross-functional team resources.
- Decision-making derived from broad objectives, technical knowledge, instructions, and policies. Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Resolve issues expeditiously and ensure that communication methods meet the service delivery standards of the County and expectations set out by County area leaders.
- Ensure that contracts are executed in accordance with corporate guidelines, preparing reports on the status of contracts as needed.
- Actively participate during County emergency response situations.
- Provide coverage or be "on call" in instances to ensure non-management employees do not exceed daily maximum hours as per Employment Standards.
- Ensure a positive work environment and awareness of all resource plans to achieve client goals, objectives, and compliance.
- Provide timely delivery of internal communications regarding service announcements, planned maintenance, disruptions, and restoration of services.
- Accountable for all organizational information systems and technologies; provide technology support and training; analyze systems and processes; maintain workstations and networks; design, develop, and maintain web-based applications.
- Facilitate continuous quality improvement, changes, and responsiveness to service increases, changes, or decreases.
- Liaise with members of intradepartmental committees involved in joint projects and initiatives holding responsibility for assurance of appropriate design and availability of services.
- Ensure compliance with all technology related documents and certificates.
- Apply in depth knowledge of information systems and technology solution trends and options to ensure a best of bread relevant systems and architecture are on the consolidated I.T. roadmap.
- Accountable to deliver against the I.T. roadmap of systems, architecture, related project and operations procedures to achieve excellence in performance and service to the business at all times.
- Completion of Bachelor's degree in business, related field, or technical area along with a minimum seven years’ progressively responsible and diversified experience managing and/or leading self-directed teams of professionals. Prosci and/or Project Management Professional certification a definite plus.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a municipal government organization and maintains a solid knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and functions.
- Mature leadership skills, and experience in strategic planning, organizational development, and policy development. The ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in all matters.
- Seven years of I.T. management experience and solid knowledge in I.T. infrastructure lifecycle, pro-active support methodologies, processes, technologies, and tools.
- Accomplished in technical project management frameworks, delivery models, business analysis, I.T. finance management, customer, and vendor relationship management.
- Sound knowledge of budget management and human resources practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain effective internal and external working relationships including settings with senior management.
- The ability to prioritize and effectively manage time in an atmosphere of tight timelines, frequent interruptions, and a quick pace environment with multiple priorities.
- Ability to communicate business needs to technical people, and to communicate and simplify complex technical information for non-technical people.
- Expert knowledge of how-to bring resolution to highly complex situations with multiple stakeholders.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs no later than September 7, 2020.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.