Division: Planning and Infrastructure
Department: Planning and Development
Close Date: April 18, 2019
Salary range: $103,428 - $127,764
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents and promotes future growth. Through the actions of our Shared Principles, innovation is encouraged; communication and learning are continuous in this team environment while maintaining a positive work and family life balance.
In this position, you will be responsible for planning, supervising and monitoring all current and long term planning projects and activities at the City. You will conduct advanced research, analysis and policy development associated with municipal planning requirements. Your expertise coupled with your effective supervisory skills will ensure section staff achieve their goals.
Planning and Policy Development
- Perform complex professional planning work related to a variety of planning assignments.
- Review, update, and/or draft the Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Area Structure Plans (ASP), and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) and City planning policies and procedures,
- Review and evaluate complex studies, development applications and consultant proposals on a variety of development-related subjects.
- Review and process complex Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Area Structure Plans (ASP), and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) amendments.
- Act as project lead for inter-municipal planning projects including inter-municipal referrals, future growth studies, and annexations.
- Participate in project budget, administer Request For Proposal (RFP) process, and verify contract expenditure and compliance.
- Prepare and present Request for Decision (RFD) and other reports to Council and Committee of the Whole.
- Conduct research and prepare statistical reports.
- Provide professional planning assistance to members of the community on varied land use projects.
- Perform field inspections, when appropriate.
- Understand and interpret Provincial legislation such as the Municipal Government Act, statutory plans, and relevant City plans and policies.
- Consult and negotiate with the development community.
- Analyze the impact of new and changing plans on the community and region.
- Ensure legislative requirements and City amendment procedures are met.
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Provide leadership to ensure the efficient and effective ongoing operation.
- Receive and investigate complaints or concerns relative to the delivery of section services.
- Respond to customer concerns and complaints using tact and understanding.
- Post-secondary Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, related field of studies or equivalent.
- Masters Degree an asset.
- Ten (10) to twelve (12) years in directly related experience, preferably in an Alberta municipal setting.
- Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Eligible for full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) is required. Membership is considered an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.