Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure and Planning, the Manager of Planning and Development is accountable for the provision of municipal and inter-municipal planning services, coordination, review and control of development approvals, research and development of growth management policies and the Municipalities sustainability initiatives. The Manager is responsible for the reporting and advice to Council and Administration decisions involving urban and rural, municipal development control processes and the management of Municipal owned lands and land programs. This position also takes primary care and control over major projects and difficult or contentious applications.
- The Manager, Planning & Development provides leadership and support to daily operations of the Planning and Development team, contractors and consultants, ensuring all work and projects are conducted in accordance with federal, provincial and municipal legislation.
- Engage staff, develop work plans, goals and optimize process evaluations to improve service delivery.
- Provide direction for strategy development, corporate planning, budget development and performance monitoring.
- Complete staff performance and evaluation reviews in accordance with municipal policy, culture and standards as well as applicable legislation.
- Ability to build strong teams and mentor employees to grow into their next opportunity.
- Provide operational leadership and supports the effectiveness and efficiency within the functional areas of Planning, Subdivision, Development and Safety Codes.
- Provide assistance and information to facilitate the Development, Subdivision or Land Use Amendment process to ensure it complies with current planning legislation.
- Assess the impacts of land use, planning, and development proposals on the municipalities policies, Land Use Bylaw, municipal Development Plan and sustainability of the municipality.
- Recommend land use, subdivision and development approval, refusal or conditional approval (with or without variances) in consultation with the Development Officers and Safety Codes Officers or staff.
- Address major land use, planning, development, and servicing issues, public complaints and resolve complex land use, planning, subdivision, development, and approval requirements.
- Prepare reports, plans, policies, and recommendations to address land use, planning, subdivision, development and building matters.
- Identify, manage, and change existing policy, regulatory and bylaw impediments to enable safe and sustainable community development.
- Interprets provincial legislation, regulations, and the Land Use Bylaw.
- Provides planning advice, works as a team member, contributes to achieving the requirements in the corporate plan and assists in the delivery of capital and SIP projects initiated by Construction and Engineering and Operations.
- Coordinate the reduction in development securities with the assistance of Construction and Engineering and Operations Departments.
- Coordinates the preparation of Development agreements, easements, and other legal agreements with the municipal solicitor and coordinate the Land Titles registration/discharge.
- Assists in the formulation of, and identifies the requirements for, long term capital planning, budget, off-site levies and internal staff and resource requirements.
- Perform field investigations and facilitate the resolution of issues to comply with the Land Use Bylaw and other regulations and provide Council with recommendations for required action.
- Interpret and provide advice to employees, Management, Council, public and Agencies on the Municipal Government Act, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Development Plan, Area Structure Plans, and other government regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Represent the Planning & Development Department at Municipal Planning Commission, Council, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board hearings, and public meetings.
- Make recommendations on Development Permits, Subdivision and Land Use Amendment Applications, including providing information, analyzing referrals, consulting stakeholders, negotiating alternatives and ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Provide supervisory direction and leadership to other staff of the Planning & Development team through coordination of duties, assignment of tasks and review of work with assistance and coaching.
- Review, investigate and resolve complaints and violations.
- Manage and assist staff with the implementation of the Rural Addressing Program.
- Perform all other reasonable duties as assigned.
- Promote the Municipalities Health and Safety Program ensuring all employees and contractors within the areas of operations and control, adhere to the policies and follow safe work practices.
- Liaise with government agencies and departments on development related matters.
- Ensure expenditures are within approved budgetary limits and the delegated authority. • Advance the priorities of the municipality with various governments, partners and stakeholders.
- Ensures the engagement, coordination and input of the municipalities departments, adjacent municipalities, statutory agencies, applicants, affected landowners and stakeholders is considered in the decision-making processes.
- Liaise with the Council, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, Municipal Planning Commission, Municipal Government Board, development community landowners, public, and adjacent municipalities in matters of Planning, Subdivision, Development and Safety Codes.
- Prepare budget for the Planning & Development Department.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Post-secondary degree in Planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Master’s degree in planning, certificate in Business Administration or Public Administration (considered an asset).
- Member in the Canadian Institute of Planners and a registered professional planner with the Alberta Professional Planners Institute.
- Post-secondary education in Land Use Planning or related disciplines which may include completions of Applied Land Use Planning Certificate (ALUP), or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of 3 years related experience in managing long-range and current planning programs and Safety Codes inspections.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the practices and principles of Municipal and Inter-municipal planning, regional and municipal growth management plans, and strategies.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, Municipal Development Plans, Land Use Bylaws, Subdivision and Development Regulations and Alberta Safety Codes.
- Develop work plans, goals and optimize process evaluation to improve service delivery.
- Provide direction for strategy development, corporate planning, budget.
- Class 5 driver’s license and clean drivers abstract.
- Advanced organizational, communication, interpersonal and leadership skill working with multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in government relations, supporting elected and appointed officials and senior management and coordination of inter-municipal planning.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and internet applications, directing the use and development of Geographic Information products.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution (considered an asset).
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels of government, as well as employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers. • Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret, implement, and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is conducted in an office environment with long periods of sitting and in a field environment requiring travel.
- Public engagement, sometimes confrontational.
- Moderate physical effort; occasional heavy lifting.
- Subject to working in outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and / or wet conditions as well as insects, bees, and wildlife.
- Use and operation of a municipal vehicle.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required to conduct inspections and attend public hearings.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
- Adhere to safe job procedures.
- Required to wear correct Personal Protective Equipment as per safe job procedures.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume in one of the following ways:
By E-mail: email@example.com (please quote the position in the subject line)
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16 4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079 Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.