Lac Ste. Anne County offers a range of Municipal Services and is a growing mix of residential, agricultural, industrial, and recreational opportunities. The County has a population of 10,899 in an area of over 3,000 sq. km.
The County is seeking a qualified Manager of Public Works to manage their Public Works department. This will include overseeing transportation, fleet services, waste management, and shop units within the County. Primary responsibilities of this position consist of administering municipal services through construction, maintenance and repair of bridges, streets/roads, storm drains/culverts, and facilities.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum of 5 years transportation-related experience directly supervising staff
- Experience working in a union environment is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge and understanding of transportation maintenance
- Ability to provide strong leadership and supervision in a fast-paced and dynamic environment by prioritizing, scheduling, and budgeting based on corporate goals and strategies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to broad audiences
- Extensive experience in on-site problem solving and solution creation in the field of transportation maintenance and surface drainage
- Ability to find solutions with multiple stakeholders who work from different perspectives and philosophies
- Experience in a rural municipality is preferred
- A Civil Engineering Technology (C.E.T.) designation would be considered an asset
- Must be computer literate and have experience with Microsoft Office programs and other industry-specific applications
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alberta Operators License
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY AND EXPECTATIONS
Reporting directly to the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning, the Manager of Public Works is responsible for:
- Functioning as the liaison and project manager for contractors and consultants on Public Works projects utilizing municipal forces and other projects, as assigned by the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning
- Preparing and managing the Public Works department annual capital and operating budgets
- Reviewing expenditures and approving invoices for payment within the purchasing authority assigned
- Proposal calls, tenders, invitational tenders and purchasing for the Public Works department
- Implementation of Public Works strategies that improve municipal operations surrounding asset management, inventory management, fleet services, and utility services
- Recruitment, hiring, training, management, scheduling, supervision, and professional development of all Public Works employees and various casual staff
- Identifying, supporting, and providing access for professional development of department staff
- Maintaining accurate files on all matters relating to the Public Works department
- Developing and monitoring Public Works policies
- Preparing, for the County Manager’s approval, reports for submission to Council, and other correspondence as required
- Preparing applications for funding from various Governments on matters relating to the Public Works department
- Preparing and filing all reports and finances required by other County departments, levels of government or other agencies
- Dealing with and resolving complaints involving the Public Works department
- Preparing items for Council and attending Council Meetings
- Participating as a senior member of the Health & Safety Committee
- Ensuring all employees adhere to the safe work practices outlined in the Health & Safety Manual
- Working closely with other County departments on various special projects
The Manager of Public Works will also fulfill any other related duties important to the efficient operation of the department, as assigned by the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning.
The County provides a competitive compensation package commensurate with the successful candidate`s experience and education.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume to Kathryn Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered as they are received. This opportunity will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.