Lac Ste. Anne County offers a range of Municipal Services and is a growing mix of residential, agricultural, industrial, and recreational opportunities. The County has a population of 10,899 in an area of over 3,000 sq. km.
The County is seeking a qualified Manager of Public Works to run their Public Works Department. This will include overseeing transportation, parks, fleet services, and shop units within the County, as well as the indirect supervision of more than 21 staff in both union and non-union positions. Primary responsibilities of this position consist of administering municipal services through construction, maintenance and repair of bridges, streets/roads, storm drains/culverts, and facilities.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum of 5 years transportation-related experience directly supervising staff
- Experience working in a union environment is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge and understanding of transportation maintenance
- Ability to provide strong leadership and supervision in a fast-paced and dynamic environment by prioritizing, scheduling, and budgeting based on corporate goals and strategies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to broad audiences
- Extensive experience in on-site problem solving and solution creation in the field of transportation maintenance and surface drainage
- Ability to find solutions with multiple stakeholders who work from different perspectives and philosophies
- Experience in a rural municipality is preferred.
- A Civil Engineering Technology (C.E.T.) designation would be considered an asset.
- Must be computer literate and have experience with Microsoft Office programs and other industry-specific applications.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alberta Operator’s License.
- This position requires residence within the County’s boundaries.A willingness to relocate within a suitable transition period would satisfy this requirement.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Reporting directly to the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning, the Manager of Public Works is responsible for:
- Functioning as the liaison and project manager for contractors and consultants on Public Works projects utilizing municipal forces and other projects, as assigned by the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning.
- Overseeing Public Works financial operations, including preparation and management of the Public Works department annual capital and operating budgets.
- Implementation of Public Works strategies that improve municipal operations surrounding asset management, inventory management, and fleet services.
- Recruitment, hiring, training, management, scheduling, supervision, and professional development of all Public Works employees and various casual staff.
- Preparing, developing, and maintaining, as required, documentation relating to the Public Works department, including reports, grant applications, and policies.
- Preparing items for Council and attending Council Meetings
- Participating as a senior member of the Health & Safety Committee
- Ensuring all employees adhere to OH&S policies and practices.
The Manager of Public Works will also fulfill any other related duties important to the efficient operation of the department, as assigned by the General Manager of Infrastructure and Planning.
The County provides a competitive compensation package commensurate with the successful candidate`s experience and education.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please forward your resume to Kathryn Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered as they are received. This opportunity will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.