Centrally located along the Highway 2 corridor and nestled in the scenic Battle River Valley, the Town of Ponoka is a thriving and growing community that enjoys a balance between urban and rural lifestyles all in picturesque setting. Home to more than 7,200 people, Ponoka offers competitive infrastructure; affordable residential, industrial and commercial properties; and easy access to two international airports in Calgary (two hours south) and Edmonton (45 minutes north).
The Town, which employs about 90 full- and part-time staff, is currently seeking applications for a permanent, full-time Manager of Recreation Services. Reporting to the General Manager of Planning & Infrastructure, the Manager of Recreation Services is responsible for the overall management of the Town’s recreation services and oversees protective services including bylaw enforcement.
Duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Managing recreation programming and services for the Town, including the Ponoka Arena Complex, Aquaplex, outdoor sport facilities and parks, facility bookings, special event coordination and supervision of staff that provide recreation services;
- Promoting citizen, tourist, and visitor use of recreation facilities by working closely with community groups on facility bookings, promoting facilities to potential clients, and promoting special events;
- Producing a semi-annual community program guide that highlights recreation programs in the Town. Working with the Communications Department to promote recreation services, programming, and facility news;
- Responsible for the financial management of the Town’s recreation facilities; including the preparation of budgets and approving and monitoring of expenditures and revenues;
- Coordinating with the Manager of Operations on maintenance of recreation facilities to ensure facilities are attractive and well-maintained;
- Providing administrative support and assistance by researching and preparing reports or projects for the General Manager of Planning & Infrastructure, the Town CAO, and Town Council. Attend Council meetings when needed, and represent the Town on various committees and at community meetings.
- Overseeing protective services including Bylaw Enforcement. Supervise contract and/or employee bylaw officers. Proactively identify, prioritize, and track bylaw enforcement concerns or requests from citizens and other departments. Provide regular reports to senior management and Council on bylaw activities;
Required Education, Experience & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation, physical education, or related field;
- Minimum of five (5) years of directly-related managerial experience in municipal recreation;
- Management competencies including accountability, reliability, adaptability, flexibility, collaboration, negotiation, communication, decision-making, problem-solving, leadership, networking, relationship building, planning, organizing, stress tolerance, and teamwork;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers’ License;
- The successful candidate will be required to submit a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week). Salary will commensurate with experience and will include participation in LAPP and Health & Dental benefits.
Applicants are asked to email resumes no later than September 13, 2019 by 4:30 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Town of Ponoka thanks all applicants in advance, however, only those being considered will be contacted.