Manager of Utilities
Comp # MS-20-19
Are you a highly motivated leader that promotes continuous improvement? Do you love a challenge and positively impacting your community? This opportunity might interest you.
The City of Wetaskiwin is located just 30 minutes south east of the International Airport and serves over 12,500 ratepayers. With all the amenities of a city without the stress of the big city this opportunity will allow you to develop a utility program that will be a leader in best practices and service delivery.
We (the City of Wetaskiwin) are seeking a Manager of Utilities to lead our Utilities team.
Reporting to the Director of Municipal Services, the Manager of Utilities is responsible for the continuous safe and efficient operation of all City storm, water and wastewater systems to a standard that meets all Provincial and Federal Regulations and industry best practice. This fantastic opportunity offers an attractive and competitive compensation package including benefits and a pension program.
You are the ideal candidate if…
- You are a born leader. You can coach, engage, inspire and get results from your team.
- You value a safe environment and will practice and enforce all health and safety policies and procedures.
- You have expert knowledge in the safe operations of water, wastewater and storm systems.
- You have a strong planning background with impeccable organizational skills.
- You are analytical with expert problem solving. You are solution focused!
- You have excellent customer service skills.
- You have high standards for your work and the work of your team.
- You are strongly motivated to learn, eager to meet (or exceed) basic requirements, have good tolerance to stress/pressure.
- You love to engage and work with a team.
- Direct the execution of all Utility programs outlined in the department business plan
- Ensure department activities are adequately resourced by preparing, monitoring and controlling the department budget; propose service enhancements as required.
- Develop, monitor, and report department service levels using appropriate systems.
- Recommend improvements to City Standards, and review policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and priority setting for Utility department staff.
- Plan and monitor the department’s activities as required, ensuring projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Keep informed of new developments in the utility fields, AEP standards and regulations.
- Develop terms of reference, review proposals and manage consultant contracts.
- Assist with the review and approval of all specifications for in-house engineered utility infrastructure projects.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the City of Wetaskiwin Health and Safety policy and procedures. Ensures staff perform their work in accordance with safe work practices as defined by OH&S and corporate safe work practices.
- Coordinates the response to emergencies as required.
Education and Work Experience
- Provincial Water and Wastewater designations for collection, treatment, and distribution at a level 2 or higher.
- 10 years of experience within a municipality demonstrating progressive responsibilities and diversified experience in management of public utilities.
- Professional designation such as P.Eng or CET is considered an asset
- A valid Class 5 AB Driver’s License is required but a class 3 or higher is preferred.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others and skilled in resolving disagreements and preventing the escalation of conflict.
- Sound budgeting and financial management experience. Ability to monitor budget, meet financial objectives and ensure the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable technical expertise and understanding of maintenance planning and scheduling for a complex multi-site utility.
- Considerable knowledge of preventative and predictive maintenance techniques.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office components and databases.
- Possess strong ability to work independently, make recommendations and decisions, excellent negotiation skills.
- Innovative thinker with the ability to influence and persuade others and build trust and common understanding required to implement change
- Knowledgeable in provincial and federal regulations pertaining to storm, water, and wastewater operations for the City.
- Considered an innovative thinker with the ability to influence and persuade others and build trust and common understanding required to implement change
- able knowledge of OH&S regulations and corporate safe work practices.
To apply please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement will be utilized for this Employment Opportunity only and is subject to compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.