The Town of Hinton is currently seeking a Municipal Engineer. Reporting to the Manager, Engineering and Capital Projects, the Municipal Engineer works to support the engineering core functions in the Development Services Department. This is a professional position in the Development Services Department that requires a high degree of professional responsibility in development engineering, development agreements, asset management, engineering support for other departments, oversight of new infrastructure construction, completion and securities, and support for capital planning for new infrastructure projects and support for infrastructure master planning. In addition, this position interacts with developers and applicants on a continuous basis, assists with service area projects and supports other departmental functions when required.
Core Engineering Accountabilities
- Review, maintain, and implement the Town’s design guidelines and standards.
- Review and prepare street closure permits and distribution notifications to all necessary agencies and Town departments.
- Provide technical engineering advice and estimates to the Development Services department and other Town departments.
- Provide advice and support to other departments relating to new infrastructure construction.
- Review and approve all crossing agreements across Town owned rights-of-ways and roadways.
- Review, maintain, and implement the Town’s asset management data base system.
- Act as the support to the Planning Technologist for updating and maintaining the Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Provide engineering support for the Engineering and Project Management Manager for infrastructure projects including preparing Request for Proposals (RFP) and Request for Quotations (RFQ), supervising and coordinating with consultants and contractors, construction supervision, cost analysis, surveying, design drawings, quantity surveys, and tender review to award contracts.
- Issue shallow utility permit approvals in close consultation with Infrastructure Services.
Land Development Engineering
- Provide engineering design review for key statutory and non-statutory plans to support the delivery of the department’s core services in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide engineering design review for subdivisions and development permits including more complex applications.
- Verify the accuracy of engineering deliverables to ensure compliance with standards, procedures, specifications, bylaw, and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate inspections to support design reviews.
- Develop and present alternative solutions to facilitate development.
- Maintain accurate records and files.
- Verify the amount of securities required for new development as part of the development agreement process.
- Coordinate the implementation of engineering schedules for development agreements and support documentation as required to support the above noted applications including Construction Completion Certificates and Final Acceptance Certificates.
- Perform site inspections and managing development securities as required.
- Authenticate and redistributing Developer Contributed Assets.
- Propose and negotiate plan changes with developers/consultants relating to access, street systems, stormwater management, and other engineering issues pursuant to Town standards and policies
- Maintain and update the Town’s off-site levy bylaw.
- Respond to public inquiries and maintain good public relations.
- Interact on a continuous basis with the developers and other applicants for proposed plans and developments, working to ensure success of complex proposals.
- Create and maintaining professional relationships with the public, contractors, construction, and development community.
- Provide sound engineering advice to developers, the general public, and internal departments.
Other Responsibilities as Assigned
- Perform civil engineering calculations as assigned and required as per Town standards.
- Supporting other functions of the department as may be required from time to time.
- Act as a project lead on more complex initiatives and applications.
- Provide training to other staff when required.
- Undertake initiatives related to continuous improvement.
- Coordinate and participating in inter-departmental initiatives.
- This position requires a Civil Engineering Technology Diploma or a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited post-secondary institution along with the applicable designation as a Professional Engineer, Certified Engineering Technologist or Professional Technologist (Eng.).
- The position requires five (5) years related experience in the design, construction and inspection of subdivisions and general land development.
- Demonstrate exceptional working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulation and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of development agreements, off-site levies and developer contributed assets.
- The position requires experience in the construction of waterlines, sewer lines, illumination lighting, drainage, Storm Water Management Facilities (SWMF) and road construction
- Knowledge and experience with higher level statutory plans and the associated engineering requirements are an asset.
- Experience with GIS and computer assisted design (CAD) applications is an asset.
- Possession of a valid Alberta driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to: M Zygmunt, Human Resources, Town of Hinton, 2nd floor, 131 Civic Centre Road, Hinton, Alberta T7V 2E5