The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The Network & Systems Administrator is responsible to plan and coordinate the design, installation and connectivity of computer and network systems to ensure stable operation of the city's assets. This includes development, configuring, maintaining, supporting and optimizing all network hardware, software and communication links. The incumbent will ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice , data and wireless network service. He/She will also analyze and troubleshoot hardware, software and network issues. This position reports to the Technical Services Supervisor.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Assists in the setup, maintenance, and administration of servers, which involves performing regular maintenance and audits to server systems, including security audits, capacity management, and software patch level surveys.
- Plan for future growth and development of server systems, advising on the need to replace, upgrade, or expand the system.
- Initiate and develop backup and recovery strategies for all servers that includes administering backup and recovery processes for all windows servers using the existing city backup application software.
- Administer the Microsoft Exchange server and related infrastructure which includes: monitoring Exchange logs, providing support for systems and devices that integrate with Exchange for messaging services and planning and managing upgrades to Exchange software, in conjunction with external consultants if necessary.
- Manage Active Directory, Microsoft Office 365
- Ensure the security of the server infrastructure by implementing industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations by best practices.
- Build and deploy new servers on the network as needed.
- Be familiar with SAN Storage Management (Nimble)
- Maintain network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems; and escalating problems to external vendors when necessary.
- Administer theStorage Area Network infrastructure which includes managing the acquisition of data storage to meet organizational needs, monitoring space utilization and ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of all data.
- Fully supporting, configuring, maintaining and upgrading corporate customer’s networks and installing and integrating new server hardware and applications.
- Monitor network performance (availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency) and test for weaknesses, and Analyze the current network structure and submit comprehensive quarterly reports to management team on how to make the network more efficient.
- Monitor and maintain computer systems and networks including Voice Over IP (VOIP) telephony and various site Internet connections.
- Proactive monitoring of all network devices, services, and servers using a combination of tools to ensure high availability.
- Manage & troubleshoot network and Internet connectivity throughout the organization.
- Work closely with the fellow tech team members to provide end-user support and issue resolution.
- Research, evaluate and recommend technologies to support business requirements.
- Provide consulting expertise in upgrading and supporting the City’s network infrastructure.
- Provide advice on designing and supporting Active Directory services and creating and managing user accounts.
- Consult on all server, storage, mail and database administration issues which includes capacity planning strategies for all network systems.
- Maintain the VOIP telephone system by provisioning new locals, and adding voice mail accounts.
- Develop and refine policies and procedures relating to security, data integrity, change control, and documentation of server systems.
- Troubleshoot network performance issues.
- Analyze network traffic and provide capacity planning solutions.
- Analyze and resolve wireless hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Post-secondary two (2) year technical diploma from a technical college or organized computer training programs with emphasis on computer networks.
- Six (6) to eight (8) years directly related work experience.
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) a must.
- Certifications in HP Aruba required.
- Certification in VMware a definite asset.
- Cisco CCNA an asset.
- Firewall Certification an asset.
- Certification in Project Management an asset
- Certification in Togaf (Information Systems Architecture) an asset
- Certification in ITIL Foundation will be an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.