The Town of Stettler offers an employment opportunity to make a positive difference within our organization and our community. We are seeking a dynamic and detailed individual that can supervise and complete the daily, monthly, and yearly operation of the Town’s financial accounting processes, activities, and reporting. A supervisor who is committed to earning the trust, respect and confidence of the entire organization. The Town of Stettler strives to provide a workplace culture that is encouraging, welcoming, supportive, and respectful; where health, safety and security of our employees is a priority.
Reporting to the Assistant CAO this full-time position, based on a 35 hour/week, will work as a part of a dedicated, motivated, and valued support team within the Town Office environment. This position will directly supervise a group of six (6) accounting support staff including Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable/Licensing, Utilities, Taxation/Computer Coordination, and Corporate Communications.
- Coordinates and supervises the activities of Town Office Staff to ensure data is available and processed in time to meet financial reporting and billing deadlines.
- Maintains the General Ledger inclusive of monthly and year-end entries and account reconciliation.
- Prepares supporting financial working papers, reconciles sub-ledgers, and drafts annual Financial Statements with supporting schedules to be in accordance with accounting principles for municipal audit purposes and as required by Alberta Municipal Affairs for statistical/comparative reporting purposes.
- Maintains the Tangible Capital Assets Register.
- Prepares applications for grants, monitors expenditures and prepares final reporting.
- Prepares debenture applications, monitors payments and reconciles borrowing.
- Monitors cash flow and investments activities.
- Assists in preparation and monitoring of operating and capital budget.
- Provides backup support for biweekly payroll, computer services and customer service.
The preferred candidate will have the following qualifications/attributes:
- Post-secondary education in a related field. A Professional Designation (CPA) would be an asset.
- National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration (NACLAA) would be an asset.
- Employment and supervisory related experience.
- Competent in MS Office skills.
- Effective communication and organizational skills.
The Town of Stettler offers an internally equitable and competitive salary with standard employment benefits to a suitable candidate based on qualifications and experience. Interested applicants should forward a resume in confidence with references by 1:00 p.m., December 14, 2018 to:
Steven Gerlitz, Assistant CAO
Town of Stettler
We thank those persons in advance who submit applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.