The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position requires a solid knowledge of Payroll and Benefits Administration and applicable legislation; as well as excellent analysis and internal controls capabilities. The incumbent coordinates payroll administration and reporting along with pension and benefits administration. This position reports to the Payroll & Benefits Supervisor.
1. Payroll Administration, Accounting & Reporting
- Responsible for the accuracy, compliance and efficiency of payroll processing and administration by implementation and monitoring of effective internal controls.
- Performs complex calculations, corrections and update payroll systems for all changes in salary or status as a result of collective bargaining, job reclassification, performance appraisals and terminations.
- Ensure proper administration and submission of monies withheld per government order such as garnishments, maintenance enforcement, or other such withholdings.
- Provides biweekly, monthly and annual reports including T4 and T4A’s, WCB (Workers Compensation Board) and LAPP (Local Authorities Pension Plan).
- Responsible for preparing routine and ad-hoc reporting to meet the organization’s needs.
- Serves as the first point of contact for customer inquiries and reporting.
- Delivers new hire orientations and one-on-one meetings with employees regarding payroll questions and issues.
- Maintains payroll records in compliance with the City's records management structure and legislative requirements.
- Apply federal and provincial legislation to payroll including: The Canada Pension Plan, The Employment Insurance Act, The Income Tax Act, Employment Standards legislation and Worker’s Compensation Act.
- Keep up-to-date with legislation, agreements and policies through formal training, independent research and consultation with City departments.
- Communicate the payroll compliance requirements and City policies and procedures affecting payroll to internal customers.
2. Pension and Benefits Administration
- Administer and implement registrations, changes, and terminations for employee group benefit and pension plans which includes Extended Health & Dental benefits, and Life & Disability benefits in the payroll system and with benefit providers.
- Maintains pension and benefit records in compliance with the City's records management structure and legislative requirements.
- Support employees through individual consultations regarding all aspects of benefits such as benefit and pension setup and termination, optional benefits, leaves of absences, retirements, vacations, death claims and optional service purchases.
- Liaise with group benefit carriers, pension providers, internal HR, and benefit consultants to coordinate employee benefit coverages.
- Post-secondary two (2) year Diploma or certificate in Business Administration or equivalent.
- Two (2) to three (3) years related experience.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner certificate is required.
- Benefit Administration courses is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of payroll processing for hourly and salary positions, including both unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Working knowledge of employee group benefit plan administration is required.
- Current knowledge of Canadian Payroll and other related legislation is required.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Outlook is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of Online Benefits Administration is required.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove