The Peace Officer I is responsibile for enforcing Municipal By-Laws and Provincial Statutes as approved by Alberta Justice. This union position will handle all citizen’s inquiries and complaints with respect to bylaws and statutes and will demonstrate a hands-on and Community-spirited approach in efforts to provide a comprehensive municipal enforcement program for the Town. This position will professionally promote public awareness and education while striving to achieve voluntary compliance. This position is expected to effectively liaise with the R.C.M.P and other Municipal departments and agencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Municipal Bylaws and applicable Provincial Statutes.
- Understanding of current law enforcement practices and techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
- Ability to make effective decisions relative to enforcement activities.
- Ability to utilize GIS and computer software relative to enforcement functions.
- Must possess excellent judgment, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an enhanced RCMP security clearance.
- Must be able to pass the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE) prior to hire.
- Must possess certification to be appointed as a Peace Officer by the Solicitor General’s Office.
- Performs administrative and investigative work in the enforcement of all assigned Town bylaws, including, but not limited to traffic control, nuisance properties, waste management enforcement, noise, licensing and collection.
- Works in cooperation with the local RCMP on criminal offences related to property and traffic matters within the Municipal boundaries.
- Liaises and assists various departments within the Municipality and Community agencies in matters relative to Municipal operations where required.
- Responds to inquiries, investigates complaints, accidents, and disputes and takes appropriate action to render assistance and enforce the laws within the provided jurisdiction.
- Enforces traffic and parking violations, administers traffic control when required and assists in emergency related matters.
- Initiates enforcement action by preparing charges, serving summons, subpoenas and processing records for court on all applicable bylaw offenses as required.
- Assists in the preparation of reports for Administration as well as preparation for accident and other required reports for the Town’s solicitor and insurers.
- Assists in the implementation and promotion of community style enforcement including collaboration with the R.C.M.P. and the Town of Blackfalds in the development of plans, programs and services to improve in the safety and overall wellbeing of Community residents and visitors.
- Maintains and controls exhibits and lost/found items through accurate records ensuring continuity through to disposal.
- Assists in the oversight of the Town’s animal control programs including the maintenance of statistics forwarded by Klassic Kennels. Position also provides liaison between veterinary clinics and Town Office and responds to animal complaints.
- Assists the EMPSM in the preparation of monthly and annual reports to be provided to the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Attends Policing Committee meetings and provides updates or reports relative to enforcement activities.
- Maintains and supports a positive and proactive Customer Service philosophy throughout the department.
- Must be able to work various shifts including evening, weekends, and statutory holidays
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned by the EMPSM.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Minimum Post-secondary diploma or Certificate in Law Enforcement, Criminology, or a related discipline.
- Between three to five (3-5) years of experience in enforcement or similar capacity, preferably in a community based municipal environment.
- Valid Driver’s License supported by a five (5) year clean drivers abstract.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR
- Excellant computer and application skills
- May be required to lift, up to fifty pounds (50) occasionally.
- Work outside during extreme weather conditions.
- Operation of and sitting in an emergency vehicle for long hours.
- Speak clearly and listen to clients while assessing situations to provide an immediate response during emergency situations.
- Wear a ballistic vest continuously.
- Use of personal protective equipment such as OC spray, baton, gloves and masks may be required on occasion.
- Frequent climbing in and out of a motor vehicle.
- Ability to react quickly using hands, fingers, or feet, responding to emergency situations.
The job requires sitting in an emergency vehicle or at a computer terminal for long periods of time. The incumbent will be subjected to moderate levels of noise, associated to an office environment, as well as high levels of noise related to emergency sirens being activated.
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, the general nature and level of work expected to be performed.
Hours of Work: The position works shift work and the hours of work has been established as 80 hours every 2 weeks - The position works various shifts including evening, weekends, and statutory holidays.
The hourly range for this position is $41.86 to $47.11 per hour as per the CUPE Local 417 Collective Agreement 2019-2021
The Town of Blackfalds is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals with qualifications to apply to the position by submitting their cover letter and resume via our applicant tracking system.
Position closing date March 5, 2021 at 4pm MST.
We remind applicants of the pre-employment requirements: Valid Drivers License supported by a (5) five year clean drivers abstract.