Competition number: 057-2021-EXT-HRS
Closing date: 03/03/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Human Resources
Pay range: $46.43 to $58.05 per hour ($84,503 to $105,651 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Are you an expert in the Pension and Benefits field? Do you have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to recommend and implement continuous improvement strategies and work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders?
Join the Human Resources Department as the Pension and Benefits Advisor, reporting to the Supervisor, Total Rewards. You will be responsible for advising on pension and benefit plans for all County, Library and Heartland employees and Elected Officials. You will be responsible for the Employee Benefits program to manage financial implications to the County, minimize risk, ensure plans remain competitive and meet the needs of our employees while remaining cost-effective.
- Be the subject matter expert for Strathcona County for all pension and benefit plans, providing advice, internal consultation and coaching to deliver total rewards programs and seamless support to employees
- Develop, design, recommend, implement, and ensure effective administration of any changes to the Employee Pension and Benefits Program
- Collaborate with HR Operations benefits team to ensure effective delivery of administration of benefit plans
- Establish tools, resources and practices to ensure the effective overall delivery and compliance of the Employee Benefits Program
- Analyze and provide recommendations regarding financial strategies regarding plans, including establishing and adjusting premiums
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of claims by service providers for the Employee Benefits Program and annual Flexible Spending Account
- Provide information and education to County employees about the value of their benefits programs as one important aspect of the total compensation package
- Interpret information from Alberta Pension Services and APEX pension plans, ensuring compliance and translating the information for all staff in the organization to understand
- Support readiness activities and analysis in preparation of implementation of a new HR/payroll system
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify, analyse, diagnose and successfully handle and communicate complex benefits questions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to inform and advise individual employees or groups of employees
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with management and staff at all levels in the organization
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive employee benefits issues using discretion and diplomacy
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources or a related field with 5 years of related experience OR a Post-Secondary Diploma with 7 years of related experience
- Designation in Benefits administration, preferably a Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS)
- Experience in benefits design, implementation and administration of employee benefits with both union and non-union benefit plans
- Experience and knowledge in pension plans and administration
- Specific knowledge of mandatory and optional benefits programs in Canada
- Specific knowledge of tax laws and implications for Strathcona County and employees with respect to benefit plans
- Experience in a public sector environment would be preferable
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite and in-depth knowledge of data bases and other mechanisms to track benefits data for program management, trend analysis and management decision making
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
To apply, go to our website.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #057-2021-EXT-HRS closes March 3, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews. Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter along with their resume.