Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until February 2, 2019)
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $76,698 - $90,120 / Year
As one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities, Rocky View County offers significant opportunities for professional development. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for the complexities of rural and urban development. We seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
This is a mid-level professional planning position in the Planning Department that requires a high degree of professional responsibility in the development and implementation of planning strategies, statutory documents, and municipal policy. The position also requires a thorough knowledge of related Acts and Regulations and the planning process in Alberta. The Planner primarily works independently and prepares submissions to Council and other affected public and private agencies.
- Interacts on a continuous basis with the general public through front counter, telephone, and written inquiries and referrals as may be required to convey planning related information to citizens and other individuals and groups.
- Generally reviews, processes and manages more complex redesignation, subdivision, and development permit files for compliance to policy, regulations, and technical requirements, etc..
- Prepares and presents reports to Council, Subdivision Approving Authority, County Committees, and to appeal boards as required.
- Assists in the preparation of concept plans within approved policy plans or limited scope conceptual schemes.
- Assists in identifying municipal, community or intermunicipal issues and opportunities that could be mitigated through better community planning.
- Participates in the interpretation of relevant Municipal or Provincial Planning Policy and Regulations and formulation of Administration positions.
- Reviews and responds to referrals from internal departments and government agencies.
- Conducts extensive research in specific or general project areas.
- Assists in the preparation of municipal policy plans, including Intermunicipal Development Plans, Municipal Development Plans, and Area Structure Plans.
- Participates in the interpretation of relevant Municipal or Provincial Planning Policy and Regulations and formulation of employee positions.
- Monitors and reviews Municipal and Intermunicipal Planning Legislation, policy, processes, plans, and initiatives.
- Prepare and presents reports, materials, and opinions as a representative of Rocky View to other government and non-government agencies and committees as required.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- BA - Planning (or related field).
- Understands and applies Provincial and Municipal planning policies, legislation, processes, procedures, and Statutory Planning documents.
- Interprets and applies relevant Municipal/Provincial policy to the processing of applications and the development and preparation of planning documents with no major oversights.
- Works independently or as part of a team to seek out and synthesize information resources in a clear and concise fashion in the processing of applications.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates knowledge, interpretation, and application of subdivision design, site planning and environmental planning concepts and their applications in a rural environment in the processing of planning applications.
- Works collaboratively with and communicates effectively and positively with other team members, departments, and external municipal and provincial government personnel.
- Possess and exhibit strong skills in presentations to Council, community associations and government departments as required.
- Manages time effectively to juggle multiple deadlines and tasks, and is required to work within irregular and tight time frames.
- Takes initiative to identify and resolve problems with regard to planning applications that may be unique and complex.
- Makes sound decisions by using rational and logical judgment that reflects an understanding of the consequences of decisions.
- Able to work under stressful work conditions and to think and react quickly and effectively to problems that may arise from time to time.
- Flexibility to alternate between technical to philosophical planning responsibilities as required in the task or project.
- Estimates personal level of knowledge and asks for clarification and guidance as necessary.
- APPI Regulated members (Registered Professional Planner (RPP) or Candidate) members is preferred.
- Previous related experience particularly in a public sector environment is preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Minimum 4 years of demonstrated professional planning experience in combination with the above mentioned mandatory education requirements a demonstrated track record of working collaboratively in a team environment and a record of successfully completed assignments. Scope of the experience should include a demonstrated awareness and knowledge of planning in a rural municipality, awareness of interrelationships between jurisdictions and their respective interests and a thorough understanding of the provincial planning and legislative framework.
This opportunity will be posted until Sunday, January 14, 2018.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.