The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore.
Reporting to the Manager of Development Services, the role of Planner III/Senior Planner will take the lead on planning policy development, including updates to the Municipal Development Plan & processing development permit and subdivision applications of an increased complexity. This is a senior planning position that requires varied & progressive professional planning expertise & experience. The position offers opportunities for individuals demonstrating strong teamwork abilities coupled with proven analytical, development facilitation, & policy formulating skills.
The ideal candidate will have a sound understanding of the Municipal Government Act, planning regulations, and municipal planning processes and requirements as well as knowledge and experience in municipal land use planning. As a strategic thinker, you will demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and excellent analytical skills combined with interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills. Your prioritization and time management skills will allow you to work on multiple projects under tight timelines. Your senior level of understanding of the planning regulations and your experience within a municipal government setting will allow you to best represent the Development Services department.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Taking the lead in formulating, reviewing, and updating the Municipal Development Plan.
- Taking the lead or an assisting role in regularly reviewing and updating the Land Use Bylaw.
- Processing development permit applications, and associated development agreements with an increased level of complexity.
- Processing subdivision applications, and associated development agreements with an increased level of complexity.
- Providing development permit and subdivision application assistance to other members of a multidisciplinary team.
- Researching issues, identifying solutions, and advising management about municipal growth and development.
- Preparing political briefing materials and responding to complex planning issues.
- Making public presentations to various bodies including Town Council, the Subdivision Development and Appeal Board, and other committees as assigned.
- Providing professional planning advice to internal and external stakeholders and explaining planning policies and decisions.
- Providing and promoting Municipal Planning goals and objectives to citizens and applicants.
- Being an effective and positive team player and ambassador for the Development Services Department.
- Being an effective and positive liaison for the development industry.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Director, or the CAO.
Education and Experience : The preferred candidate will have a Degree in Planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) or a related degree and have a minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible and diversified experience in Municipal Planning. Membership or eligibility for membership with the CIP is required.
- Experience in a progressively responsible municipal land use planning, urban studies, regional studies or related discipline is required.
- Experience with municipal legislation, such as writing and updating the Municipal Development Plan, is an asset.
- Working knowledge of planning legislation and experience involving a broad range of projects and applications in an urban setting.
- Demonstration of excellent interpersonal communication, facilitation, and mediation skills.
- Demonstration of excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstration of excellent written and presentation skills.
- Ability to conduct yourself in a professional manner which portrays the Town of Strathmore in a positive light.
- Ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, facilitative manner.
- Ability to train and mentor other members of the multi-disciplinary Development Services department.
- Ability to work in a customer-oriented and collaborative environment while adhering to tight timelines and changing priorities.
- Ability to deliver high quality of work and professional advice and recommendations to the leadership teams.
- Punctuality in attending meetings and the workplace each day.
Compensation: The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on your experience and qualifications.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
Please submit a cover letter and complete resume of experience and qualifications, quoting Competition TOS2020-21 to: email@example.com.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.