Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains just northwest of the Calgary region, the Town of Sundre has a history that is connected to nature, the environment and its resources. As a progressive and growing community that fosters economic diversity and year-round tourism, we take pride in being forward-thinking to create a quality and prosperous environment for its residents, visitors and businesses. Sundre is a place where you, as a professional, can grow, make a difference and call home.
We are recruiting a Planning and Development Manager who initially will report to the Director of Planning and Economic Development. The Planning and Development Manager performs a variety of community planning functions which include:
- Accurate land use policy and plan review; and
- Timely and effective preparation of reports, recommendations and decisions on planning and development matters including policy plans, the land use bylaw and amendments, subdivision applications and development applications.
The position also requires the incumbent to function as an appointed subdivision and development authority for effective decision-making and approvals for applications and to be a leader through knowledge, sound judgement and experience in the processes associated with plan implementation, subdivision and development.
The incumbent must provide guidance and direction to administration, council, developers, stakeholders and the general public on all land use matters in accordance with the applicable provincial legislation and regulations and municipal policies and bylaws. Providing assistance with overseeing the Town’s Economic Development function is also a requirement.
The Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for an individual who has:
- Post-secondary degree in planning or a related field;
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners; and
- Minimum five (5) years of management and/or supervisory experience in a senior planning capacity with a municipality, with preference given to individuals with direct experience in subdivision and development approvals and implementation.
The incumbent must:
- Collaborate and work effectively in a team environment;
- Recognize and support a streamlined approach for departmental operations and processes;
- Provide strategic thinking, progressive ideas and creative solutions for decision-making; and
- Possess excellent communication and leadership skills in promoting Council’s policies, strategic plan and priorities.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive compensation and benefit package. The position is expected to grow into a senior leadership role with the organization. Attendance at evening Council meetings and stakeholder engagement sessions is expected.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants in advance, but only those applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.
If this is you, we want to hear from you! If this opportunity is of interest to you, please submit your resumé and a cover letter quoting Competition # 19-010 to:
Town of Sundre
Sundre, Alberta T0M 1X0
This posting and job description can be reviewed on our website at www.sundre.com.