A career opportunity awaits you in the picturesque and livable community of Sundre! Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains just northwest of the Calgary region, the Town has a history connected to nature, environment and local resources. As a progressive community that fosters economic diversity and year-round tourism, we take pride in being forward-thinking and growing a prosperous and quality environment for its residents, visitors and businesses. Sundre is a place where professionals such as you can grow, make a difference and call home.
We are recruiting a Planning and Development Manager who will report jointly to the Chief Administrative Officer and current Director of Planning and Economic Development. You will take charge of the Planning and Economic Development function and lead a professional team by providing:
- Accurate land use policy, subdivision and development guidance with an ability to respond positively to the local needs of the community;
- Sound recommendations and decision-making;
- Respectful guidance and advice to the Town’s Senior Development Officer, Development Assistant and Economic Development Officer;
- Timely and effective preparation of reports, recommendations and decisions with a flexible approach to the growing needs of a community;
- Decision-making duties, where required, as an appointed subdivision and development authority;
- Knowledge, sound judgement and experience in the processes associated with plan implementation, subdivision and development;
- Respectful and effective communication with administration, council, developers, stakeholders and the general public on all planning and development matters in accordance with applicable provincial legislation and regulations and municipal policies and bylaws, and
- Support to the Towns Economic Development function based on Council’s strategic plan and priorities.
The Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for an individual who has:
- Post-secondary degree in planning or a related field;
- Eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners; and
- Minimum five (5) years of management and/or supervisory experience in a senior planning capacity with a municipality, with preference given to individuals with direct experience in subdivision and development approvals and implementation.
The incumbent must:
- Collaborate and work respectfully and effectively in a team environment;
- Recognize and support a streamlined approach for departmental operations and processes;
- Provide strategic thinking, progressive ideas and creative solutions for decision-making without creating barriers; and
- Possess excellent communication and leadership skills in promoting Council’s policies and strategic plan and priorities.
The Employment Opportunity:
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive compensation and benefit package. The position is expected to grow into a senior leadership role with the organization. Attendance at evening Council meetings and stakeholder engagement sessions is expected.
If this opportunity is of interest to you, please submit your resumé and a covering letter quoting Competition # 2021--001 to:
Town of Sundre
717 Main Avenue West
PO Box 420, Sundre, AB. T0M 1X0
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants in advance, but only those applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.