The Town of Redcliff, a thriving horticultural and industrial based community of approximately 5500 progressive residents, with excellent recreation facilities, presently has the following position available with the Planning and Projects Department.
Reporting to the Municipal Manager, the Planning and Projects Director will lead, mentor, and direct the Infrastructure Planning and Projects Management Team in alignment with the Town of Redcliff’s strategic vision, goals, and objectives. The Director will act as the subject matter expert and liaise with Council, administration, staff, and external stakeholders. This role is responsible for leadership and delivery of all subdivision planning, long term development planning, infrastructure planning, and project management for the Town of Redcliff.
Leadership and Supervisory
- Leads the Town of Redcliff culture by modeling the values of open, honest conversations; developmental orientations; discernment; collaboration; and appreciation.
- Prioritizes team development through mentoring staff and monitoring performance levels.
- Addresses performance issues head on and in a supportive and developmental way.
- Develops and leverages the competencies of others to achieve organizational success and delivers results in an environment of continuous improvement.
- Engages employees, the public, and other stakeholders on issues that impact the Town of Redcliff and its constituents.
- Provides ongoing leadership of the Planning and Projects Team: plans, assigns, supervises, and evaluates the work of staff providing direction, supervision, orientation and onboarding, development, training, evaluation, and recognition/appreciation.
- Oversees all planning and project related processes such as:
- Preparation of reports, plans, policies, and recommendations.
- Provides planning advice, works as a team member, contributes to achieving the requirements in the corporate plan and in the delivery of capital projects.
- Overall management of GIS functions.
- Overall management of Economic Development functions.
- Responsible for departmental budgets including department narrative, capital worksheets, and budget updates in a timely manner.
- Develops, evaluates, and provides recommendations relative to the ongoing engineering, planning, and economic development needs of the Town of Redcliff.
- Ensures compliance with provincial legislation, regulations, statutes, and local statutory plans and bylaws.
- Develops the strategic goals and objectives for the Planning and Projects Department and guides the work of the team in support of Council direction.
Business and Political Acumen
- Builds respectful and productive relationships at all levels of the organization and is relied upon as a trusted advisor and partner by senior administration and Council.
- Understands Council priorities and the community’s vision and works/leads to realize it.
- Is aware when issues may be politically sensitive and communicates appropriately.
- Works within corporate and municipal guidelines, policies, and procedures; demonstrates a firm understanding of the pertinent legislative frameworks.
- Develops, implements, and encourages team strategies for continuous improvement and innovation and ensures alignment with Town goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Fosters regional relationships and collaborations with other municipalities, sharing information and efficiencies.
- Identifies where efficiencies can be gained and seeks to improve processes and adapt to new ways of doing things.
- Prepares and presents impactful reports to Council; delivers complex technical concepts to Council and the public in a way that is comprehensible, clear, and meaningful to a non-technical audience.
- Communicates respectfully and tactfully with all clients and coworkers and proactively shares pertinent information with the team.
- Listens and seeks to understand concerns and issues for the most successful and appropriate resolution, looking for win/win/win solutions.
- Maintains a high personal and professional standard of confidentiality of all information.
- Attends and participates in Director meetings.
Health and Safety
- Understands and carriers out the management responsibilities as outlined in the Town of Redcliff Health and Safety Management Program.
- Leads by example to ensure the success of the Town of Redcliff’s Health and Safety Management Program by working safely and providing a safe and injury-free workplace for all employees in compliance with all pertinent legislation and the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code.
- Embodies Town of Redcliff core values: Wellness, Respect, Integrity, Service, and Teamwork.
- Resilient nature to thrive within a politically sensitive and public environment.
- Foundational values are firmly rooted in the desire to serve the community, feeling most rewarded by the outcome/results of the work, not personal recognition.
- Perceives what needs to be done and takes initiative to accomplish tasks.
- Confident, personable, and approachable nature that inspires trust.
- Is positive and respectful in communication about others and with others.
- Has a calm demeanor under pressure and is a settling influence during crisis.
Education, Training, and Skills:
- Degree in Planning, Project Management, Business Administration, or Engineering.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of 5–7 years’ progressive management experience.
- Demonstrated aptitude, interest, and experience to positively lead, motivate, develop, and mentor staff.
- Demonstrated success managing and resolving conflict.
- Organizational habits to understand, realistically plan for, and meet deadlines, while adapting to changing demands and priorities.
- Strong computer skills utilizing word processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
Interested individuals are invited to submit, in confidence, a resume listing their qualifications, experience, education, and references by June 19, 2021.
For more information, please visit https://redcliff.ca/employment/.
Resumes must be clearly marked with the position you are applying for and forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Town of Redcliff
Resumes will also be accepted by fax at (403) 548-6623 or email at email@example.com.