The Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) was founded in 1905 and today represents urban municipalities including cities, towns, villages, summer villages and specialized municipalities and more than 85% of Albertans. It is a dynamic and evolving association, advocating the interests of members to the provincial and federal orders of government and other stakeholders.
AUMA provides leadership in advocating local government interests to the Provincial Government and other organizations, and provides services that address the needs of its membership. To contribute to achieving those objectives, staff demonstrate professional, positive attitudes in their interactions with government officials, members, customers, and Board and Committee members.
The AUMA attracts and retains competent, effective and dedicated employees and assists employees in developing and refining the skills and competence required to achieve the objectives of AUMA. Relations between employees and managers are open and direct, leading to an excellent work environment, clear communications, and a positive attitude.
AMSC is wholly owned subsidiary of AUMA, and provides business services to our members across Alberta. These services are critical to the operation of the municipalities that we serve and the initiatives that we are putting in place ensure that the services are sustainable.
Reporting directly to the Executive Officer, Marketing, Communications and Strategy, the Project Manager works closely with the Chief Operating Officer and the Senior Directors of the various business units within AMSC (Pensions, Benefits, Insurance, Utilities) to operationalize the strategic projects and ensure that they are successfully executed.
This is a 1 year term position to set up and manage multiple projects for success. The Project Manager will utilize their business experience to understand and direct the various projects and guide the Senior Directors as they implement the initiatives.
- Work with project champions, Senior Directors and Executive to identify priority projects, and move them through the project management framework from scope to completion.
- Developing relationships with stakeholders to identify and address their needs and remove barriers to participation.
- Create project charters that specify the objectives, deliverables, budget and detailed work plans.
- Create project teams and coordinate processes to secure any required external resources, ensuring that all project team members are well versed in their roles and responsibilities.
- Lead the identification of project requirements.
- Alert the project champion and senior management of risks to project timelines.
- Prepare implementation plans and coordinate related change management including business process reengineering, staff training, client and third party notification, etc.
- Apply planning, coordination, facilitation and risk management to manage the scope of projects and ensure they are delivered on time and within budget.
- Track and resolve questions, issues and other challenges that arise during the projects.
- Create and manage project documentation and communication including the provision of regular reports to the project sponsor and project team.
- Identify process improvements through process mapping and design.
- Conduct post implementation project reviews to identify opportunities for improvement and outstanding matters that need to be resolved.
- Supporting quality assurance and verification of all project outcomes and reports.
- Maintaining records, analyzing data, and producing status reports.
Education and Skills
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Business or a related field and certification in Project Management.
- Experince working with or certification in Six Sigma would be an asset.
- At least 7 years experience leading all aspects of multiple complex strategic projects in the areas of Insurance, Pension and Benefits, Utilities or similar business environments.
- Expertise in opportunity identification, foundational understanding, detailed planning, design and development, implementation and closure of projects.
- Success in leading process improvement, process mapping and process design.
- Business management experience.
- Proven success with informal management of staff and executives in a matrix structure.
- Significant experience with Project Management methodologies, tools and software.
- Fluent with both written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Suite).
- Outstanding analytical, writing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship management skills
- Ability to work independently, take direction and complete projects without constant oversight.
Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and respond to program participant needs and to develop effective partnerships with diverse stakeholders.
- Extraordinary attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong project management skills to handle multiple priorities and various program projects.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, set priorities and make decisions in a fast paced and complex working environment.
- Ability to foster relationships with stakeholders, both internal and external, individually and as part of a team.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Ability to apply detailed knowledge of organizational procedures to make independent decisions and serve as a credible resource.
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and build strong professional relationships over the phone, email and in-person.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter to Jeff Simpson, Senior Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.
Selection of people to perform this position is based on matching their knowledge, skills, competencies, and behaviours to the work to be performed so that the best qualified candidates are chosen. AUMA is committed to employment practices that are unbiased with regard to equal opportunity of employment. AUMA makes every effort to be in compliance with the Alberta Human Rights Legislation.